cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Call charges to an 'International Call Collect' number in the US

Go to solution

I have a US issued credit card (I work for a US company) and needed to contact their customer service team. The numbers offered were a US 800 Freephone number for US residents and a 'Call Collect' number for international customers outside of the US.

I called the latter number thinking it would be free (my interpretation of call collect) but BT have charged me normal US rates?

Not been able to get through to BT on the phone so wondered if anyone had any experience/knowledge they could share? 

Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Call charges to an 'International Call Collect' number in the US

Go to solution

If the phone number started +1 it's an international call and charged as such

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks. Somewhat misleading though to call it Call Collect. Guess my gripe should be with Amex.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

What Nigel said is correct, if you call a number that's overseas, you'll be charged for an international call.

You can look at Friends & Family International which is £2.11 a month and discounts calls to 236 countries.
You can also look at International Freedom which is £8.99 a month and gives 600 mins (10 hours) of inclusive calls to some countries, US is included.

There's more info at Calling Costs - International call charges 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Could I ask if call charges should apply if the telephone number is a universal international freephone number?  Is this something that BT can clarify easily?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

What is an international freephone number ? , not every country has the same format for ‘freephone’ numbers , and for any one business to arrange that the same number called from anywhere in the world would be ‘free’ would be a logistical nightmare, assuming it were even possible.

If an American company has a free phone number in America for its employees or customers , that’s pretty standard business practice, but the fact that they use the term ‘call collect’ ,for an apparently available option to call from other countries  without charge , when that’s an Americanism and is not a term used by UK Telcos , ( presumably the UK equivalent is a ‘reverse charge’ call )  , where  the UK operator places the call , after confirming the recipient will accept charges,   with the proliferation of communication providers and network providers , I doubt there is any requirement to offer ‘reverse charge’ calls .

If there is a freephone number that works internationally , the American company would need to make an arrangement with all possible providers in every country, as they couldn’t possibly know what network the caller would be using .

There  was ( maybe still is ) ‘0800 reverse’ , but that isn’t anything to do with BT and I have no idea if it works for international calls .

TBH , the OP simply made an error and made an intentional call , incorrectly assuming that there was some billing alchemy that meant it wouldn’t appear on their bill , if their American employer has made arrangements to enable their staff to call ‘head office’ for ‘free’ from anywhere in the world , they apparently haven’t taken the time to explain how to access this service successfully.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Many thanks for your prompt response.  An International Universal Free Phone Number (UIFN) is a unique freephone number that is the same throughout the world. It is composed of a three-digit country code for global service application, i.e., 800, followed by an 8-digit Global Subscriber Number (GSN), resulting in an 11-digit fixed format. UIFNs are assigned to International Freephone Service (IFS) customers who intend to use the IFS service between two or more countries.   The number of countries is quite extensive.   I will and the other customer should check also to establish whether the number called is an IUFPN. 

They made reference to it being a call collect whereas the number I called is identified as Toll Free however was charged an international call rate for the duration. Can I assume that BT would not charge if the number was indeed an IUFPN or would they not check.  My initial enquiry regarding the call cost was robustly but pleasantly defended by BT.

0 Ratings