cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Call claiming to be BT cut off services

I had a call from 020 8505 2959 with an automated message saying they were from BT and that some 'suspicious activity' had been detected from either my landline or internet, and how they were going to cut off the service, then the standard 'press 1' etc. at which point I hung up.

Unless BT is going full Chinese communist 'social credit system', I'm assuming this was a scam, but I'll leave that for someone to let me know.

I have reported it, but being able to further contact BT directly is like wading through mud.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Call claiming to be BT cut off services

Apparently there is a reply from someone called Graham18 but I can't see it on account of apparently 'not having enough privileges to access this response', which is just bloody stupid for a customer forum.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Any cold call that starts with a recorded message, particularly with an American accent,  is definitley a scam. Any cold call from HMRC, The Police, Microsoft, Virgin Media, The Post Office and all Banks are scams, these companies never cold call customers, ever! Text messages from similar institutions are also generally scams.

Message 4 of 10

BAFlyer - I can see your response, so yay for that at least. I understand what you are saying, though it wasn't an American accent, and putting up the number should let someone from BT know if it was bizarrely from them or not. I do tend to hang up any such calls, as I did this time, so my posting is about opportunity for BT to confirm or deny, and raising awareness. Thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

@Sisyphuscomplex wrote:

Apparently there is a reply from someone called Graham18 but I can't see it on account of apparently 'not having enough privileges to access this response', which is just bloody stupid for a customer forum.

You will get an immediate, automatic email telling you each time there's a reply on your thread. If a response is subsequently found to breach forum rules it will be removed manually. Not stupid, just the way it is.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

pottyperson: I'm afraid that's not the message I received, as explained already, it said I couldn't see the reply because 'not having enough privileges to access this response', nothing to do with any 'breach of rules' (which is a different issue altogether, and one that I'm more than a little bored with).

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@Sisyphuscomplexwrote:

pottyperson: I'm afraid that's not the message I received, as explained already, it said I couldn't see the reply because 'not having enough privileges to access this response', nothing to do with any 'breach of rules' (which is a different issue altogether, and one that I'm more than a little bored with).

Hi @Sisyphuscomplex   When a message breaches the community rules it gets moved automatically to a secure area where community moderators can look at it to see if it can be released. While it is quarantined we cannot see it because we don’t have the required privileges to access it. It has everything to do with breach of rules.

Message 8 of 10

@Sisyphuscomplex these type of calls are now with me for a week, generally from random numbers all over the UK and even from Switzerland....

Number is ex-directory, never published nowhere, simply COLD calls, scam...

01722, 0208, +411689, 01908, 01473, 01274, 01213 and many more...

While for sure, not expecting any calls on my landline, simply not picked them up, and straight to BT Call protect Blacklist... Unfortunately that means, next time, another random number will go through anyway...

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@gosforth Much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Yes a regular scam. This week my broadband was going to be cut off, which was brilliant given they phoned me on my TalkTalk business line to tell me. Annoyingly there is no equivalent of call protect for this line, so such calls are just part of life.

0 Ratings