Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 21 of 24

Re: Call from 0800 169 1608 scam?

Go to solution

Tush, Tush And there was me thinking it was some in-house zombie marketing  "Device"  to get householders to upgrade their broadband contracts to a more expensive variant.

You live and learn everyday, as Mr Jansenn has been heard to say.

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 22 of 24

Go to solution

Hi everyone,

This thread, while being nearly 12 months old is getting quite a few page views so I just wanted to offer some clarification.

0800 169 1608 is a BT telephone number.  BT will make an automated call, like has been described in this thread, for instances of a working line takeover.  @-Richie- has provided a great description of this process so check out post 10 on page one.

While I can confirm that this is a BT telephone number, some scammers can spoof telephone numbers, so it looks like the call is coming from a number when in fact it is not.  If you are in any doubt, please call BT on 0800 800 150 and one of us can check your account for you.

We have provided some information which may help protect you against scammers so please check out this link, Be aware of scams - What to look out for and how to spot a scam

Cheers

Sean

davewi11
Beginner
Message 23 of 24

Go to solution

I've had a call purporting to be from this number this morning. The automated woman's voice said this is BT, it's not a sales call. Then an automated voice rapped out a telephone number too quick for me to follow. Then, if I am the subscriber press 1, if I am authorised to speak on behalf pf the subscriber press 2, or else press 3. Not being fully awake I just put the phone down without pressing anything. I then phoned the 0800 number recorded on my phone and heard the BT Scottish woman's voice saying we tried to call you, and that it may be possible to remove yourself from their calling list by phoning an 02 number, but no indication of what their call was about. So yes it was a scam.

0 Ratings
LaurieEdwards
Beginner
Message 24 of 24

Go to solution

Hello! I'm pretty sure it was a scam. I don't answer such calls.

0 Ratings