cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John451
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Call guardian

I have a BT Decor 2600 landline with call guardian. When someone calls me, let’s say Fred, I answer the phone and get a recorded message saying Fred is on the line and do I want to accept the call. I’m given 3 options, press 1 to accept the call, press 2 to always accept calls from Fred, and I think the third option is to bar Fred from calling again.

the problem is that nothing happens if I press 2, so I am forced to press 1 to receive the call. Which means that every time Fred calls me he is forced to go through the rigmarole of giving his name and is understandably getting fed up with it.

If Fred’s number is listed as a contact then that is supposed to let his calls straight through, but that doesn’t work either.

all advice on a solution would be  gratefully received.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
NeilO
Message 2 of 7

Re: Call guardian

@John451 welcome to the community and thanks for posting,  does this happen on every number that you add to your contacts or press 2 to always allow? 

If it's just the one person are they withholding their number when they call you?

0 Ratings
John451
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Neil,

It happens on every call I receive, from different people, some of whom are already in my contacts and some of whom are not. Nothing whatsoever happens when I press 2 as advised, (to always accept calls from that person).

my own research into this problem, which seems not uncommon, mentions possibly needing a micro filter in between the phone socket and the phone. My setup is that the broadband line goes into the master socket (only a single outlet) and the phone I am using goes into a second phone socket in a different room (again, only a single outlet). Would that make any difference?

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 4 of 7

Hi @John451 Thanks for posting back to confirm that. In relation to needing a Microfilter please check out Why do I need ADSL filters (microfilters) and where do they go? 

It does say "You must use a microfilter for every phone socket in your home with any phone or broadband equipment plugged in (including your Hub, phones, answer machines, digital TV boxes, and alarm systems)" 

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

You would need a microfilter in the lead to the phone, if you have broadband. You are probably losing the incoming caller display signal from the line, so the phone will not be able to look that number in your contacts list, and will not allow the calls through.

Turn call guardian off, and see if you can see the phone number of the incoming call displayed on the phone.

If you cannot see that, then either caller dispay is not enabled on your phone line, or its not getting to the phone.

Is the facility switched on?

If you've ordered Caller Display check it's switched on by entering the code * # 234 #.

If it's active you'll get the message Caller identity will be displayed. If the facility isn't active then activate it using the code * 234 #.

0 Ratings
John451
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Okay, moving on, I bought the micro filter but all that has happened is that I’m now only given two options when I answer a call - accept the call or put it straight to answerphone. The “always allow calls from this number” option has disappeared.

i don’t get caller number display, just says “incoming call” which seems fairly obvious as the phone is ringing, and can’t switch it on, so I suppose I now have to give BT even more money to get this option working.

getting seriously fed up with the whole thing....

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Caller display is free from BT, you can request it via this link.

https://secureorder.bt.com/consumerOrders/control/orderproduct?sysid=stc_cms&productId=CON-27455&pro...

Select the free BT Privacy and caller display option, which is near the top of the order page.

0 Ratings