cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndrewBerry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Caller display has stopped working.

Our caller display has stopped working this week.

It’s been working fine for many years with our BT6500 cordless phones.

After reading similar issues other people have had I’ve done the following with no success.

I’ve checked to make sure it’s still activated by phoning *#234# and the message says ‘Callers identity will be displayed’

I tried disabling it by phoning #234# and the re-enabling it with *234# which made no difference.

I’ve disconnected all devices and plugged the phone directly into the master socked with different filters and without with nothing else connected. Also power cycled the cordless phone. This made no difference.

I’ve tested the BT6500 phone on a different phone line and caller display is shown fine.

I tested an older Gigiaset phone on the suspect BT phone line and that did show the caller’s number on the display.

We also have BT broadband on the same phone line. Over the past few weeks it has disconnected many times if that is any clue as to the problem.

Not sure exactly when it stopped working but might be when the cordless phone was in use for some time and the batteries went flat and powered off.

Is there anything else I could try or does this seem to be a problem at the exchange with the broadband equipment and switching it to a different port might fix it?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Caller display has stopped working.

@AndrewBerry 

If its working on another phone, then it has to be a problem with the BT6500.

Have you tried turning off the power to the base unit for about 30 seconds?

What about resetting the base unit?

0 Ratings
AndrewBerry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your reply.

I did try the BT6500 on a different phone line and caller display worked fine on a different phone line. 

I also power cycled the power (mains) to the base unit and phone handset.

I carried out all test at least twice but every time it got no ID with the BT6500 on my phone line.

I've also got a TrueCall unit and that won't detect the caller ID either. 

If the Gigaset phone is connected then I get the caller ID on that phone.

The gigaset phone may be able to detect the weaker FSK CLI data. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Its possible there is a problem with the external network. Have you trie running a line test via the BT fault reporting page, to see if it detects any line faults, especially if the broadband keeps disconnecting?

I assume there is no noise on the phone line?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 5 of 8

Strange thing is the OP states , as far as caller display , the usual phone works OK on a different line, and an alternative phone works OK on the line in question.
I recall a similar problem on this or another forum, where it appeared that one phone was more sensitive to corrupt CLI ‘data’ than another , and would only show ‘incoming call’ yet on the same line a different phone worked OK and displayed the calling number., and surprisingly it was the cheaper phone that worked and the more expensive one didn’t.
A fault on your broadband port can corrupt CLI data, yet not be service affecting as far as the broadband service is concerned, any lightning in the area around the time the caller display stopped as that can cause this condition

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Its possible there is some broadband signal leakage getting into the phone, have you tried changing the microfilter?

0 Ratings
AndrewBerry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks again for your reply.

There is no nose when making or receiving a call.

I've just visited BT fault reporting page and done a line test and it came back with 'Our line tests have identified a potential fault on our network.'

It's now been reported as a fault and should have it sorted within a couple of days (I hope).

I'll update when I get a reply from BT.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

There may be a earth or battery contact fault which has been detected, that would also explain the broadband disconnecting.

0 Ratings