cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ayton
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Caller display not working

I have read several reports on this community website that people have successfully resolved caller display problems. I have joined this community in the hope that someone can help me.

Seven weeks ago my landline developed a fault and the phone lost caller display and the ringing facility. BT eventually repaired the line and the ring returned but not the caller display. Subsequently I have spent hours taking to BT and many attempts to rectify the fault by BT have been unsuccessful. All the various tests including the various combinations of *234#  have been tried many times which indicate that caller display is connected to my line.

Caller display worked for many years. I have a BT4600 phone, which is a digital phone, and during this issue I have bought a new replacement phone which did not resolve the problem.

My master socket is the new type which enables a test to be done directly on to the incoming line eliminating involvement of the house wiring. If I plug  my digital phone into the test socket, the first call of the day shows the caller display and subsequent calls do not display. However, I bought a cheap analogue phone and when I plug that into the test socket caller display works normally. If I plug both the analogue and the digital phone into the socket at the same time both phones show caller display. That is, the digital phone takes its caller display signal from the analogue phone.

I note that six years ago a contributor on this website reported a similar problem and it was eventually identified that the digital signal for caller display was being corrupted by the digital broadband signal at the exchange. The exchange wiring was modified in order to resolve the problem.

I have reported all the above to BT without success. Does anyone have a solution to the problem?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Caller display not working

@Ayton 

What sort of broadband connection do you have, ADSL or fibre to the cabinet?

If you have a spare microfilter, can you try it in the lead to the BT 4600 phone, this will provide additional filtering, as the BT 4600 does seem to be sensitive to any broadband signal.

0 Ratings
Ayton
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

My connection is ADSL although I believe there have been mods from the exchange to the local distribution cabinet which are fibre. I have tried adding a filter to the phone without success. However, my main telephone socket is the new version which separates phone and broadband signals.

0 Ratings
Ayton
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

I think I have got that reply slightly wrong. I am billed as having a fibre connection but that is to the area distribution box from which the connection to my house is copper
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

from your description that is FTTC   fibre to the street cab and copper to your home      FTTP is fibre to the premises

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Ayton,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your caller display.  I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team.

Thanks

Matt

Ayton
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Many thanks I will follow up your message
0 Ratings