cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Can I use my old answering machine on Digital Voice?

Go to solution

I was recently switched over to Digital Voice and my answer machine plays out the message then does not record any messages left!!

I have found out that the BT 1571 service was picking up messages before my answer machine - I did not know this and was never advised that 1571 would be automatically enabled. 

OR - the fact that 1571 was automatically activated was not clearly pointed out OR - I just missed it.

I now have an answer machine that is effectively junked so can I disable 1571 and will this allow my answer machine to pick up messages like the good old days?

You get no "notification" on 1571 unless you pick up your phone and listen to the dial tone!!!!

Thanks

AllanB

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can I use my old answering machine on Digital Voice?

Go to solution

@AllanB 

You can disable the 1571 service, and your answering machine will works just as it did before.

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/digital-voice--how-do-i-use-my-calling-features-

Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @AllanB 

One advantage of swapping over to the new HD phones is you get a nice bright symbol in the shape of an answering tape displayed on all phones when a message is left on 1571. Difficult to miss.

Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks I will follow that link

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Granted but there is nothing wrong with my existing answer machine, so no need to buy a new handset.

Unless of course BT will give us discount

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

did you not get a free handset or adapter when you went on to digital voice  if not phone 150 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks for this, I just called and a handset is on it's way, appreciated.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Yes, thank you, BT will send me a free plug in adaptor to make existing machine work with digital voice!

0 Ratings