Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heartyharry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Can't receive calls

Hi,

We have been unable to receive calls on our BT landline for weeks. We reported the fault to BT online a few days ago. We were told online that BT had located a fault outside our home and that it would be fixed by tomorrow (August 11). Now, this morning we have received a call from BT saying that they will have to send an engineer and threatening us that, if the fault is within our house, we'd have to pay them £129.

Before we reported the fault, when we tried to phone our landline from our mobiles, we got a 'network busy' signal. Now, when we try, we get one ring then three rapid beeps. When friends try from their landline, they get one ring then a 'funny scratchy noise' (NOT like the noise a fax makes, though) until they hang up. The telephone does not ring in our house when these calls are made.

An interesting thing is that when we go into my BT online and click to 'Manage BT Call Protect', we can 'View Recently Received Calls'. When we do so, all the attempted calls by ourselves and friends are listed, even though they were never connected. Not sure if this is significant or can tell us anything.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
heartyharry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: Can't receive calls

Oh, I guess I should have mentioned that we can make calls from our landline with no problem and the broadband is working fine!

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 3 of 14

You should really do some simple checks on your line, to establish if the 'fault' is on Openreach's side of the master socket, or on your side, if it's your side, and you call your provider to get Openreach to attend, you could be charge for the visit.

NTE5 master sockets have a removable bottom section, which ( when removed) exposes a test socket, you should try a known working phone ( preferably a corded one ) directly the test port, ( not via your broadband filter ) if the fault remains, you have ( as far as possible) proved to problem to be on OR's network, if the line is OK in the test port, the fault is on your own equipment or wiring, and continuing wth the fault report risks being charged.

If you don't have a known working phone to try , perhaps you could try borrowing one from a friend/neighbour etc, or take your phone to someone else's home and try it there.

0 Ratings
heartyharry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Thanks for the advice. I'll do what you describe and see what transpires.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 5 of 14

If the phone itself is ok , but still doesn't 'ring' when your number is called, it's probably an exchange line card problem, there is quite a common problem , the exchange doesn't send the ringing current down the line , to make your phone 'ring' when your number is called, but the caller still hears ringtone.

If you call your landline , and can hear the 'ringtone' , but the landline phone isn't 'ringing' , pick the landline handset up anyway..if the call connects OK, it sort of proves its the exchange line card , and although the engineer visit is required, it's at the exchange where the repair is needed, not your house, so when the engineer calls ( on your mobile hopefully as if they call your landline you won't know as it wouldn't 'ring')  , you can tell him or her where the problem seems to be.

heartyharry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Thanks again for the additional advice. I'll take account of it when I connect the corded phone to the test socket.

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 7 of 14

That's everything tidied up for you there now @heartyharry Smiley Happy

heartyharry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Thanks!
0 Ratings
Rfr
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

I have just posted similar issue. My phone started to ring once then cuts out. Service online and from bt appalling!!!!!
I tested the socket as described and bought a new phone. No better.
Bt saying 129 or free. I can’t risk the 129.
What else can I do.
Can’t leave bt for another month!!!!
0 Ratings
heartyharry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

I agree that the BT customer service is appalling. I can leave now but that won't get my line fixed. I think I will leave once the issue has been resolved. Maybe if they lose enough custom, they'll improve the service.
0 Ratings