We moved into a new rented property on 30th July and have been trying since 29th to place an order with BT to take over the line. After several failed attempts by BT to place an order with Openreach, I'm being told that there is a pending cease on the line, but they have no information about when that cease will complete. In the meantime, the phone still has a dial tone, can make and receive calls, and 17070 shows that the number linked to it hasn't changed since we moved in, which I take to be a bad sign. AQL shows the number to be 'owned' by BT, although the BT connections team seem to think it's owned by an un-named other provider.
Usual story - we can't get hold of the previous tenants to ask when they cancelled their service or who their old provider is. We've had three letters in the post from BT addressed to 'The Current Occupier' telling us that someone wants to place an order, but there doesn't seem to be an action we can take to say that it's okay and to go ahead.
The connections team keep telling me that this is being case managed and that I'll have a named contact to shout at, but I still don't know who that person is and have no way of contacting him/her. It's been suggested that we have a new line installed, which I'm happy with if it's faster and I'm not paying for it!
Meanwhile, we're eating mobile broadband data at an alarming (and costly) rate...
I'm surprised that there isn't some way for BT to find out at least a date when the pending cease will complete. At this point, I'd settle for understanding the timescale.
Is there anything else I can do?
this was a previous post which may give you some ideas of how to progress
There are a couple of more relevant previous posts, such as these two:
As far as I can make out, we can't go for a WLT now that there's a pending cease. We're over 10 working days past the original order was placed, but still no closer to getting an active order on the system and the connections team are saying they won't even try while the pending cease is there.
Our situation seems to be that we have to sit and wait until the pending cease becomes an actual cease, and no one can tell us when that might be. I guess the worst case would be 30 days from 29th.
Surely there should be some way of finding out when that pending cease will complete?