cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Charged for unknown landline calls - don't have a landline phone, my landline doesn't even work!

Go to solution

Hi, many thanks for reading this.

I've been charged for landline calls while I've never had a landline phone in this property.

I've been talking about this to the customer service so that the charges for the latest bill were refunded, but this happened again. I'm assuming that my landline number (as on my profile) is connected to some other property, which BT doesn't seem to care about.

One more thing I can tell is that my landline is even working properly, as I don't hear the dial tone when tested with a landline phone.

Can anybody help me please?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sisuv

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Charged for unknown landline calls - don't have a landline phone, my landline doesn't even work!

Go to solution

@sisuv 

I assume your broadband is working fine?

Its possibly a crossed line somewhere - I have asked a moderator to assist.

Message 3 of 20

Re: Charged for unknown landline calls - don't have a landline phone, my landline doesn't even work!

Go to solution

Hi @sisuv and welcome to our community.

Sorry you're having problems with your line. I can help. I'll need a few details so I'll drop you a private message now so you can get in touch.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Have you tried calling your landline number to see if anyone answers it? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Many thanks. Yes, the broadband is working just fine. The moderator has reached me and we're now exchanging messages. I hope he could help me sort this out. Happy new year!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Nope, I didn't as it might be scam or something. But I guess a customer service staff has tried to figure who's on the line about a month ago or so.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

@sisuvwrote:

Nope, I didn't as it might be scam or something. But I guess a customer service staff has tried to figure who's on the line about a month ago or so.

Nope to what?

Are you answering the question about calling your own number, if so - how can this be a scam?

Simply use your mobile and call your number - you don't even have to answer it. Assuming you have plugged in a landline phone (e.g. borrow one from a friend/neighbour) and dial 1471 to see what number is stored - it should be your mobile.

Naturally it's best to answer it and speak to yourself ...

I assume you don't recognise the numbers listed on the phone bill.

Your post title is misleading as you say your landline doesn't work - what does that actually mean?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks for your guidance.

For better explanation I'm writing the whole procedure that I've come through so far.

1. I was charged for unknown landline calls during Nov to mid-Dec last year, while I was away from home. I am the tenant, and nobody else than my family resides in this property.

2. I contacted the customer service to report about the bill. The first response from the customer service was that there were definitely somebody occupying the property and making calls - the staff assured that there is no such issues like crosslines etc.

3. I checked through the security cameras and asked to my upstairs neighbours who can watch our main & garden entrances from their living spaces. Nobody broke in. (In fact it's nonsense to think of a thief makinng phone calls with my landline.) Anyway, the bill (until mid-Dec) was corrected by the staff.

4. I found that on the next bill (from mid-Dec) there were several calls made from the number displayed on my account details. This time we never left the property empty.

5. I then again contacted the customer service. Following the guidance I tried to retrieve the number of my landline, but I did not hear anything including the dial tone - which means that the landline is not even working - but I am still allocated with the landline number. The staff seemed to check who's on the line, but I don't think she figured out - this is why I'm concerned with the possibility of scam. Anyway the bill was again corrected.

6. Now I'm expecting a new bill, which again charges me for landline calls.

So, my conclusion is that the landline number on my account is actually connected to someone else's line without crosslines - that's I simply don't have an actual landline connection. So I've talked to the moderater that I'd like to have an engineer in my property to assign my landline a new number so that the one on my current account can find the right holder.

Apologies for my first post which might sound wierd.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

What happens if you simply phone your home number from your mobile?

If you do not get a dial tone on your home phone are you sure you have not been move to digital voice?  You can check by connecting handset to phone socket on back OF SH2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks for your comment. I've never heard of digital voice, so probably no. Even if so it still doesn't make sense because I've never used any devices other than my mobile to make calls. And there's no identifiable number among the call records.

0 Ratings