cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 46

Re: Confusion: Digital Voice and Old Phones

Well it all worked well and my neighbour managed to use the adapter to link his second phone whilst the DECT base station was also plugged in the HH. Interesting thing was he can now use the two phones independently due to the "multi call" feature. Now he can get two scam calls at the same time 🙄.

Also seems that on my own transfer my list of blacklisted numbers seems to have vanished - probably needed to save a few GBytes of storage🤔. OTOH not had any scam calls since the switchover - they now seem to be targetting my mobile☹️

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 46

Just been switched over to digital.

Have a BT Hub 2 connected into fibre.

We have large house with 5 analogue phones so ideally want to connect hub back to the master box - a master socket 5c.

Have read various posts with similar requirements and not to be advised solutions on opening masterbox etc.

One posting suggests connecting hub back BT431A to master socket with ADSL filter  - initially thought I could re-use the redundant broadband cable + an existing RJ11/BT431A Adaptor but now see that cable is 2 wire . 

Hub to Master socket on landing c 5m so thinking of buying BT431A - BT431A cable to connect back + ADSL etc

However existing phones still seem connected in part to exchange copper - dialling tone exists so did not initially realise switch has happened. Does this mean above solution won't work?

Thanks for any thoughts

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 46

so if you connect your existing phone to the phone socket on master does it work as normally once DV active the existing phone line is dead

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 34 of 46

@Altavista 

I was confused at first. If you have opted for the free adapter then just plug that into your power socket, plug 'master' phone into that and that is it. I have 4 phones scattered around the house. 

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 46

You can connect the hub to the master socket or any phone socket in the house with a BT431A male to male and it should provide the phone service on all outlets in the house. But it would be prudent to make sure the incoming redundant copper service is disconnected since you don't want 50v on the hub if it is still working.  I am not sure what the effective REN value is of the hub output so I am not sure you could drive 5 separate analogue phones from it.

Message 36 of 46

Just plug the wire that is plugged into the master socket into the back of the Smart Hub. If it won’t reach get an extension cable from Amazon ( they have a choice of lengths). My phone is 7.5m from the Smart Hub and it works fine. All your phones must be connected to the wire that is plugged into the master socket so they should work with the Smart Hub unless they are rotary ones. The adapter is a bit of a red herring.

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 46

Thanks for reassurance on using male to male. Like many people, have collected various extension & like  cables over the years but have not got suitable combination to do the connection. Ordering long cable equivalent to the redundant old broadband connecting cable - need similar length to your configuration. 

Previous contributor confirmed need to disconnect input copper signal

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 46

Thanks for clarification that I need to disconnect the incoming signal still present from the exchange. Earlier posts indicated that shouldn't tackle this but it doesn't look like rocket science . Need now to get long male to male cable.

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 46

@Altavista wrote:

Thanks for clarification that I need to disconnect the incoming signal still present from the exchange. Earlier posts indicated that shouldn't tackle this but it doesn't look like rocket science . Need now to get long male to male cable.

That only applies if you are on FTTP, otherwise you would lose your broadband connection. If you have an FTTC connection, then all you can do is to isolate any internal phone wiring that is not carrying the connection to the home hub.

Message 40 of 46

Keith, It looks as if you are connected to BT in some way. Could you please tell me which SIN defines the performance of the PSTN socket on Superhub2 which is what BT appears to be using as the de-facto NTE? If it if the not the same as SIN 351 there will be a host of end user devices about to fail  whilst BT concentrates on only alarm systems. I need to understand what REN it supports if it isn't 4 and whether the ringing current is symmetrical or asymmetrical (expecting the former).

0 Ratings