cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Graham81
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Connected to wrong circuit at activation?

Hi All

Looking for some help and advice (possibly mod help) with my Mum's new broadband that went live today. She has been with BT for landline for years (well over 30 years). Until today I paid for Sky ADSL2+ broadband for her. But she decided to move to BT Fibre 1. Signed up 2 weeks ago and activation was today. I came to setup the hub and have noticed she no longer has a working phone line. Dialling 17070 gives the wrong phone number. We can't call in or out. We cant all the the number 17070 says is now the circuit.

Looks like Openreach have connected up the wrong circuit?

I called BT on 0800 8001 150 and waited over an hour (totally understandable in current world) but first advisor listed to me for 30 seconds, asked to put me on hold then transferred me back to a queue. Waited another 20 minutes until someone else answered. I am not sure he understood but spoke to my Mum and myself and has now booked and Openreach visit for Thursday. I need to take the morning off work now to help her. I can't see why an engineer needs to visit her home. Is this the correct course of action? In the meantime, she is left without a landline and very upset by this (she is over 70!).

Any help much appreciated

Graham

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Connected to wrong circuit at activation?

Welcome to this user forum.

Unless she asked to keep her old BT Retail phone number, she would have been given a new phone number.

Provided she is living at the same address that she was, when BT Retail first issued her number, then she can ask for a re-number back to her original phone number.

0 Ratings
Graham81
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Why would she have been given a new number? Her number was already with BT. Her BT account still shows the original number? The "new" number doesn't even work. No calls in or out.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

You said she was with Sky. They have their own equipment in the exchange, and her BT number would have been ported to Sky, when she moved to them.

Once she returned to BT, unless she asked to keep her number, she would have been given a new one, which will be shown on the bill, and on MyBT.

Its possible that the line is waiting for Sky to release the number back to BT, so she has a temporary connection, but that should be sorted out when Openreach visits.

What happens if you dial 150 on the phone, do you get BT?

I think there is nothing else you can do at the moment.

0 Ratings
Graham81
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Hi,

Sorry. Her landline was/is with BT. It always has been for 30 + years. Broadband was with Sky. We never put all services on the same supplier until today.

As I said, we can't call in or out from the landline now. 

Thanks

Graham

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

That arrangement would be unusual and probably more expensive now, as its normal to have both phone and broadband with the same supplier.

If you can dial 17070 but not 150, then that is a bit odd, as normally a "stopped" BT Retail line would normally allow you to call BT, but perhaps that`s an old policy now.

0 Ratings
Graham81
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Hi Keith,

Not many people have split services these days. But I am a pessimist and never changed things if they are not broken. As things like this can happen! But price was the biggest factor in deciding to migrate away from Sky and combining landline+broadband.

I can confirm that 17070 works. Calling any other number, including 150 just gets "the number you have dialled has not been recognised, please try again".

As you can imagine, she is quite distressed. She hardly uses her mobile as she finds it hard. Being over 70 she relies on the land line. Really looking to get it sorted as soon as I can for her. I just don't see why sending Openreach to her house is needed.

Thanks

Graham

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 8 of 11

Is the ‘new’ fibre broadband service working ?
With some problems it’s relatively easy to imagine where the error or fault may have occurred , but since the previous BT/Sky service ( SMPF , shared metallic path facility) had ‘BT’ dialtone , and there is no need for that to change , and the new broadband service delivered from the ‘fibre’ cabinet , rather than the exchange ( unlike the SMPF service ) , then why the change in phone number ?
Sky will have disabled their SMPF broadband in the exchange , but they are not involved in the telephony side , so it’s possible that BT have performed some ( unnecessary) renumber and may have perform another renumber to get back to the original number ( but I cannot see why that would be done )
The OR ‘ exchange’ engineer disconnecting the line from Sky SMPF equipment could have made an error and connected to the the line to the wrong BT telephony equipment, but again, it’s that’s unlikely given that the number on the line now is obviously a stopped line number ( hence you not being able to make or receive calls ) , and what’s more , quite often the ‘line’ isn’t actually removed from the Sky equipment , until Sky raise a new order for that SMPF equipment , and given that SMPF isn’t even sold by Sky anymore , that’s never going to happen anyway.
Were you definitely paying 2 separate bills ( BT for telephony and Sky for broadband) , Sky did try very hard to move their legacy SMPF customers onto MPF ( where Sky provide the telephony as well as broadband )...the ‘symptoms’ of your issue align better with a MPF to ‘BT’ transfer waiting for the required number to be ported back to BT from Sky, rather than a SMPF connection simply being removed from the line....if the BT broadband is working, it’s possible the only physical engineering work has been done in the ‘fibre’ cab
0 Ratings
Graham81
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Hi iniltous

yes the fibre connection is working.

I can confirm that we were 100% paying two bills.

History:

Moved to this address 30+years ago (maybe 35). Phone line with BT since, always had same number. I first got an ADSL connection to the house in around 2004 or 5. From Metronet. Eventually migrated from them to O2. Stayed with O2 until they were taken over by Sky. Sky eventually "migrated" me to Sky broadband and ADSL was now on my Sky bill. They charged me an extra £5 a month for not having Sky Talk.

I am a server engineer by trade so can understand the issues here. I understand having services with two different suppliers was very unusual. I get that the combining of the services to a provider we already had (BT) was probably also unusual. But do you think the OR engineer who is coming will be able to fix it? I really need to get her landline sorted. 

Thanks again for all your help

Graham

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

The engineer won't be able to fix it directly but will hopefully be able to identify the cause of the problem and arrange the necessary work to resolve it. Make sure the engineer is made fully aware of the circumstances

0 Ratings