cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Corded/cordless

Go to solution

I have a reason for replacing one of my four corded phones with a cordless one and wonder if it will cause any problems.

The replacement will be connected to the master socket and the others will remain connected to the extension sockets.

The extension wiring was installed when the house was built, around 24 years ago and everything has always worked perfectly. My router is also connected to an extension socket and I have FTTC with a speed of around 58 Mbs, which suits me just fine.

I appreciate that, although FTTP is not likely to happen here anytime soon I will be transferred to digital phone before then and will have to change my current arrangements, but for now all I want is one cordless phone to work alongside the others and simply want to avoid any possible issues.

I am I likely to encounter any problems?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Corded/cordless

Go to solution

adding a cordless phone should not affect your current setup

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

No problem at all having a mixture of corded and cordless phones.

Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I now have a BT 4600 connected to the master socket and the three existing corded phones remain connected to extension sockets.

Everything works as expected with one curious exception.

If an incoming call is picked up on the 4600, then all ringers stop instantly, as expected.

If an incoming call is picked up on one of the extensions, then both ringers on the 4600 handset and base unit, continue for up to 15/20 secs. It doesn't prevent the call being answered on the chosen phone but it was a bit disconcerting at first.

It isn't causing a problem but I wonder what the cause might be?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@ateas 

It will the the 4600 base unit sending out ringing signal to the handsets, as it was not answered on one of its handsets.

Nothing you can do about it, apart from get some additional handsets for the 4600, and not use the extension phones.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

try on a DV phone going to settings,phone settings,line settings,call settings and then change call mode from multi to single and see if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks Keith but as I said it isn't causing a problem, I was simply curious as to the cause.

I had a particular reason for getting one cordless phone but for now I have no intention of replacing the others.

If the 4600 continued ringing when the call is picked up on an extension then I would have to  change to cordless throughout....but as I said, it doesn't.

Hopefully, I will stick with this until my landline is ditched...whenever that will be!

0 Ratings