cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 54

Correct way to enable all BT sockets after Digital Voice

I have an alarm system in a coat cupboard with hard wired power and telephone connection. BT are forcing my migration to Digital Voice as the dial system on the alarm is to family members and not to emergency services. 

I can't use an adapter as there is no power socket nearby being in a coat cupboard. The only way is to disconnect the incoming copper to the master socket and re-enable all BT sockets in the house to somehow connect to Digital Voice.

Is there a right way to do this?

0 Ratings
53 REPLIES 53
Message 2 of 54

Re: Correct way to enable all BT sockets after Digital Voice

@jonstatt 

There is nothing to stop you linking the phone socket on the back of the SH2, into your existing phone wiring.

You just need a lead like this. Ignore the reference to the ONT on the picture

Keith_Beddoe_0-1622464700397.jpeg

Lead to link ONT TEL port to phone socket

Farnell Telephone Modular Cable, BT631A Plug to BT631A Plug

There are other places.

Ebay have the 4 wire one, which works just as well.

BT 4 Wire 431A Plug to Male Plug Telephone Cable Lead

You would need to disconnect the existing master phone socket, from the external network.

That would then extent the phone connection to all of the existing sockets.

Message 3 of 54

if you try @Keith_Beddoe suggested solution please post back as it will more than likely help others wanting to do the same thing maybe for different reasons.  not sure how many phones the hub will support assuming this works

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 54

There is a Digital Voice Faceplate for the NTE5c BT Consumer can supply. 

Only problem is though the Router needs to be next to the NTE, unless you buy or make up and extended BT631A to BT631A phone cord.

Message 5 of 54

I tried searching for a specific digital voice master socket faceplate but could not find one so do you have a link please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 54

That would be ideal. My router is right next to the master socket. I predicted this and had FTTP installed there.

Let me see if BT customer service know of this plate. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 54

I’ve not seen it online, not even sure if you can buy them?

I’ve only seen them when BT Consumer Customers have been sent them with their Smart Hub as part of their Digital Voice Service.

I did have a photo of one on my old work iPhone SE but recently upgraded it to an iPhone 11 so don’t have it anymore. If I see one next week at work I’ll get photo for you.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 54

I did speak to BT who did look into this properly and said the faceplate is no longer made. What a shame 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 54

I don't have a date for the transition yet. BT are sending letters out telling people to get ready by getting the free handset etc or advising them of an alarm. How long after this letter you get an actual order date I don't know. But I will report back on using a male to male BT cable to the master socket with street wiring disconnected after it does happen.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 54

@jonstatt 

Just make sure you disconnect any internal wiring from the external network, if you do link the sockets together, otherwise your DV phone line number will be extended to the DP and cabinet, and could end up being connected to another line by mistake.