cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 54

Re: Correct way to enable all BT sockets after Digital Voice

Hi  I have done as you have made reference too in this thread and disconnected a and b wires on master socket.  (type C Openreach)  and my main phones work off their current sockets which is great.  Currently my alarm plugs into the Master socket as in walk in loft but whilst it dials nothing happens.  I have put a phone in it and it will ring out but again not able to dial out.    I have also tried connecting alarm to the adapter but again will not dial out.  Any ideas please Many thanks Malcolm

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 54

Have you tried talking to your alarm company for help

Was it an extension socket where you connected the patch cable from hub socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 33 of 54

Hi Thanks for response.    Yes but it seems it is the subject of debate within the alarm fraternity when you just plug in like a phone.   The cable from modem is currently going into extension socket by modem as master socket in another area.    The main phone works on thi configuration but I think I will try a temporary link to the master and use a doubler so alarm can go in.    If that works then I can make it permanent. Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 54

I have FTTC on a 5C master socket with a MK4 faceplate plus UPS protected SH2 and am now on digital voice. I want to re-activate my old home extensions (have old phones that need a ringer and I want power 24/7). 

I cannot find one of the SOGEA faceplates.

If I remove the three wires form the home extension connectors on the master socket and connect them (straight) to a 4 wire BT phone lead which I plug into the phone socket on the back of the hub, presumably this should activate my home extensions and isolate home cabling from the exteral cable at the same time?

REN's may be a problem though.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 54

@Chris_Sav 

Only two wires are normally needed, unless you have an old phone. Normally just pins 2 and 5.

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 54

Hi, Can you not get your supplier to upgrade your alarm system?
It's widely known across the industry about closure of the copper line network, so they must have a product range which uses mobile phone technology instead or a Broadband connection.
I'm sure alarm companies would have stopped by now selling equipment that depends on Copper landline service.
BT Redcare can provide you with a list of Redcare suppliers or by using the online BT phone book at www.118500.com and typing in BT Redcare suppliers.
If you want to keep your existing system then the other posts in this thread have the answer to that
0 Ratings
Message 37 of 54

Hi Many thanks.  I am looking into the mobile option at the moment.   The problem is the cost is likely to be about £300.   BT say that if you have a plug in alarm it will work by plugging into modem/ adapter which is not the case.  I have found a number of things to do with digital voice which BT don’t seem to have considered or have just failed to tell people what to do.  Eg. Own answer phone and voicemail.    Disappointed with BT on this one. Even it’s help links take you around in circles.  Thanks Malcolm

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 54

Well to be honest, the copper line network switch off is inevitable, in fact some countries switched it off ages ago.

Again look at Redcare suppliers because at least they will know about BT's network and how to get around Digital Voice.

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 54

Thanks. I am looking at all options. Pity a tech expert did not develop a converter or alike thanks again
0 Ratings
Message 40 of 54

My experience of plugging old phones and an 80D electro-mechanical bell into the back of the SH2 is that there is enough power in the hub to ring two extensions and the outside bell.  I use the 4-wire back-to-back 431A lead into the old master socket (having disconnected the old incoming copper wires), and connect the outside bell to terminals 3 and 5 via a capacitor and it works fine.  In my experience though not all the features of the older style phones work on the new digital system:  when I bought a new BT Decor 2200 with 1571 message indicator I found that the Digital Voice system does not light the "message waiting" indicator, so I had to re-install my older phone, a a BT Decor 1500, which has local message recording.  I do also have a Digital Voice phone with Alexa, which does have the 1571 message waiting service, but I find the buttons are too close together for easy use.  My other phone, an old "Friends and Family" Relate 600 is still useful as a desk phone and works fine.