Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ook76
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Crackling noise on BT landline

I saw some posts in the community  in reply to a cracking noise line issueS

i have the same problem and when I look at the BT app they say they will charge a lot for the visit. The fact is we always had this poor line with all the phones we have had and I suspect it may be outside.

Anyone had this issue and guide us on how we can check if the issue is outside? I don’t want to pay for an engineer and then confirm the issue could be outside.

thanks so much for any help

5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Crackling noise on BT landline

you need to go to master socket which is normally first socket where openreach line enters from outside then remove front and you should see test socket.  if you connect phone to test socket and dial 17070 option 2  should be silent  any noise report phone fault to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

You don't have to pay for an engineer if the fault is outside of your house. If it is still noisy at the test socket you won't have to pay.

0 Ratings
Ook76
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Thank s so much, but do i go ahead On the mobile app trouble shutting and book the engineers visit?

is he/she going to check if it is outside or inside first and repair if it is outside and ask first (Giving me the option) if I want to repair at cost if it is inside? Or leave it?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 5 of 6

The onus is on you to check, you ( obviously ) don’t have to, but if the ‘fault’ is on something you and not Openreach are responsible for , then the visit is chargeable , you don’t get to say , don’t fix it don’t charge me, after all it’s the visit that has incurred OR the unnecessary expense, after all, say you had a faulty phone, why should OR visit to tell you your phone is broken, OR didn’t supply the phone, and you could have easily determined the phone was broken yourself.
It’s really easy to prove if the fault is on your side of the master  socket or Openreach’s side, you simply check at the master socket test port, if whatever the problem is , still exists when using a known fault free phone in the test port, then you can be confident of no charges, if using the test port the problem goes, but comes back on when the socket re assembled ( thus reconnecting your extensions etc ) then whatever the issue is , it’s on your side, and asking OR to visit ( via your provider ) risks being charged.

FWIW, if ( for example ) you had a faulty extension socket , and OR visited, OR charge , but they  simply disconnect the faulty extension wiring from the master socket, they don’t repair it....if you don’t  have any ’extension sockets ‘ and can disconnect everything apart from a known working phone , and the fault remains , you almost certainly won’t be charged, and if you have several phones that all have the same issue, it’s unlikely they all have the same ‘fault’, so the problem would be external and therefore the repair is part of the rental agreement 

0 Ratings
Ook76
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Thanks so much for all this help. I used the test socket. Called 17070 option 2. Still crackling, sounds like it may be outside  so I reported the fault and booked an engineer for Friday.

0 Ratings