cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Crackling on the line, job not fixed after OR visit.

Go to solution

For the past couple of months there as been crackling on the phone line, sometimes intermittently. I used the quiet line test and can hear the crackling. I can hear the crackling even over the dial tone on the phone.

After doing the standard checks before reporting the fault i.e. using a corded phone in the test socket and still hearing cracklings, I was able to arrange an OR engineer visit.

All that the person did was change the master socket with them saying "yes, this is definately the problem. We've had a lot of issues with these". As far as I could tell they never checked the line after changing the master socket. Because it was an OR engineer, and I've never had any complaints with them in the past - they are the gold standard, I assumed that must have been the problem.

The next day I had to use the phone to call someome, and the moment I picked up the phone and heard the dial tone I also heard the crackling again. It's continued to crackle on every call since. So the problem hasn't been fixed.

So I went back to the BT site to put in another fault request. But it seems I wasn't allowed to do this for some reason and instead I was re-directed to the old fault case, like it hadn't been closed, even though on the screen it said they had fixed it. In the summary section at the top of the page it says;

"Please check your service.

We need you to check your service to check to confirm that everything is now OK. If it's not, please get in touch.

Contact us".

The contact us is a link. When I click the link it just takes me to the standard help menus. There is nothing related to my fault.

So I can't;

1. Mark the fault as not fixed.

2. Close the current fault.

3. Make a new fault.

Meanwhile I still have the crackling on my line. Can someone advise me what to do?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Crackling on the line, job not fixed after OR visit.

Go to solution

phone CS on 150 or 0800800150 from mobile and get engineer back

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I will call the number, though I'm not good on the phone.

I was just wondering why it doesn't let us update it online.

I was reading the page again and noticed the summary as changed to;

"Fault in progress

We are still working on the fault and will update you as soon as we know more."

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @Bowdon welcome back to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry the engineer didn't repair your noisy line. If you need any assistance getting this sorted, reply on the private message I've sent you and we'll be happy to help.

You'll find the private message by clicking on the envelope on the top right of the community.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Ok,

I sent the PM late last night.

Thanks for any help you can give.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @Bowdon, I can see your details are in our queue. We'll be in touch as soon as you reach the top of the list.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @Bowdon 

Thanks for taking the time to chat with me again this afternoon.

I'm glad that the engineer was able to repair the fault.  As discussed, there was a fault in the exchange and I'm really pleased that your services are working well now following the repair 😊

As agreed, I'll go ahead and close this off from here.

Enjoy the rest of your day and stay safe.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings