cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: Current landline vs VOIP?

Go to solution

Why I was asking, if that if a 50V low current feed was applied from the NTE, would any current flow, a sort of continuity check, and to help to reduce HRs?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 15

Go to solution

I don’t do SOGEA, have managed to avoid it so far, so don’t know all the ins and outs but I know it’s been asked several times now by Openreach Engineers to have voltage put onto them so they can be better identified as working Circuits and to stop HR faults but the Company has said no, it will just be a Naked DSL Circuit.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 15

Go to solution

Many thanks to all of you for all of your replies.

Forgive me being a bit dim but I don't fully understand the conclusion.

Briefly:

Currently I have BT with both phone and internet coming down one copper pair from my telegraph pole which is turn is connected a local fibre to cabinet connection. About 500 metres away.

When it comes into the house it goes into a BT master socket 5C. 

Question 1: Does this mean that my phone is protected in the event of a power outage (yes I do have an old fashioned phone - not cordless)

Question 2: I am considering moving to Sky who will post out a router. I have no idea if this means that I would simply plug in their router only for internet. Or would I plug in their router for internet and then plug my phone into their router and hence possibly?? have VOIP ?

Question 3: would I plug their router into my 5C socket? Only using the data socket on the 5C?

Thanks for any help

Anyone please able to explain that?

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

Go to solution

@robartist 

If you have fibre to the cabinet, then your broadband comes from the cabinet, and your phone line comes from the exchange, which is a protected feed and will continue even during a power cut.

If you move over to VOIP, with any provider, then you lose that protected connection from the exchange, and you phone service would not work during a power cut.

As far as moving to another provider, you would have to ask them how they propose to deliver their phone service.

If you move to Sky, then they use their own equipment which may or may not be protected.

Message 15 of 15

Go to solution

Many thanks for your kind and informative help.

0 Ratings