cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: DECT phone charging issues

We have socket type 4 on your image. Broadband and voice is with Virgin ISP.

House DECT set up is as follows: There is a phone socket downstairs for the old landline phone. There are two phone sockets upstairs for the DECT phones. 

Recently the second DECT handsets stopped working, so we bought new Everyday DECT phone with base station. We didn't think we needed new base station but you had to buy DECT phone + base station.

The old DECT handset still works and you can still pick up outside calls on it. 

This isn't the case with the new DECT handset. After charging up the DECT phone (charge the batteries first etc etc), you now put the new DECT handset in the base station and it only says POWER UP BS or OUT OF RANGE.

I have tried REGISTERING - BY pressing the FIND button on the base station but when you press the menu button on the handset to register - I'm not sure that's what you do but they are the only half-relevant help articles I can find - nothing happens - you can't use the menu button to register the phone.  Sounds like we need to register the handset to the base station some other way

So, I have a new DECT phone that doesn't work. There are no decent help articles anywhere ......but surely I can't be alone in having switched to a different ISP? Why are there NO decent help articles anywhere? Why does the old DECT work but the new one doesn't??

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

Hard to follow but it seems as though you're still using the old base station, which is why the original handset works. In which case you need to plug in the new base station, just to the mains, & deregister the new handset. You should then be able to register it with the old base.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 19

I'm not going to disconnect the old base station + handset ......because that at least works.

The two base stations and phone connections are in different rooms

I have set up the new base station with the new DECT handset - and it is doesn't work. So why doesn't it work?

What do I do now?

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 19

I didn't say anything about disconnecting the old base.

But this is still confusing. So you have both base unit powered up & conncted to the phone line?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

If you have broadband and voice with virgin as you posted do you still also pay BT for the use of another phone?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 19

Yes all base stations are connected to the mains power and plugged into phone sockets.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 19

I don't know; it's an old BT system set up decades ago.

All I know is the old base station and phone works well enough and the new ones (also BT Everyday phones/base stations) don't.  Surely I can't be alone in finding that we suddenly need to replace an old DECT phone that fails?

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 19

Maybe the socket is the issue. Swap the phones into the different sockets, if the working phone set no longer works when connected to a different socket that will tell you the socket is the problem not the phone.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

@MWalker174wrote:

Yes all base stations are connected to the mains power and plugged into phone sockets.

It's possible that one base is interferring witht he other.  You wouldn't normally run two base stations, especially inclose proximity.

If you're saying that the new handset reports out of range when on the new  base then it's either interference or faulty.

You might be better off returning it & buying eitheer just a handset or something more capable like the BT4600 to repace the old system altogether. You may be limited to used/refurb for a replacement hansdet.

0 Ratings