cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 29

DV equipment

Go to solution

I have BT Smart hub 2, BT 8600 trio wireless handsets and a corded landline (just in case of power cuts).

Having just read the advice leaflet from BT about the forthcoming Digital Voice service it states on page 1, and I quote "you won't pay a penny more," unquote.  It does state further down page one, and again I quote, "some homes may need an adapter or Digital Voice home phone," unquote.  On page 2 it states, "you can order one adapter free of charge,"  so, it appears to me that this change by BT is going to cost me money, and it does not advise how much these adapters cost   It appears to this customer that BT are expecting its customers to fund this changeover, as I am perfectly happy with the current quality of line service why do we have to pay BT for its decision to change?    

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Re: DV equipment

Go to solution

@JohnMutley_65 

Just plug your existing base station into the phone socket of the smart hub 2, no extra equipment needed, it will work just the same as it does on your existing connection.

You would have to provide backup power in the event of a power cut. BT can supply a suitable unit for vulnerable customers who have a care alarm.

https://shop.bt.com/products/cyberpower-back-up-for-bt-digital-voice-service--non-fttp--091297-FV54....

Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

@JohnMutley_65wrote:

as I am perfectly happy with the current quality of line service why do we have to pay BT for its decision to change?    

The other option is having no phone, It's not BT's decision, it's a decision made by the network owner (Openreach) and the UK Govt, having 2 networks is expensive so it makes commercial sense to move with the times and do away with copper, BT have then had to develop a new means of providing phone service, years of research and the end result is Digital Voice, the other 600+ communcation providers who use the Openreach network will have to do the same, the switch off is 2025.

Message 4 of 29

Go to solution
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, existing base station is already plugged into phone socket of hub 2 since installation (of hub 2) , will have to wait now to see what equipment BT sends for the forthcoming DV service, and hope everything works? The current corded landline is already connected to mains power so hopefully that will not be affected.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Your explanation does make sense but will have to wait now to see what happens when BT advise when switchover day arrives.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thats not much help to me as that would mean i have to have my phone in my hallway as thats where the router is. Also BT have emailed me about this and sent me a letter and now a card too all saying that i can order either one adapter or a digital voice home phone free of charge from bt.com/DVequipment, but when i go to this site and type in my phone number it says:       

The number entered is not eligible for this offer. Please check you have entered your number correctly.

I also contacted BT by chat and i was told i had to wait for a password for this but there is nowhere to enter a password.I also asked in chat about my Mother in Laws phone as she has no broadband and all he said was it would be done by end of December. This all seems poorly orgainised to me.

Also Keith that link to back up power is no good as BT do not sell it anymore.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

@Pip601967 wrote:

Thats not much help to me as that would mean i have to have my phone in my hallway as thats where the router is.

You can have the digital voice home phone wherever you like, it is cordless and uses the hub as a DECT base station.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

@Pip601967 

the DV phone is a cordless handset with it's own base charging station and once paired with the SH2 can be placed wherever it is convenient for you.  you may find you cannot order DV phone until your digital voice is actually active and until then you can connect your existing phone to green socket on back of hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

The email,letter and card that BT have sent to me about digital phne changover all say i ca order the free equipment before it cahges to digital. The only problem is the link does not recognise my phone number.  I have just spent nearly 90 minutes on the phone to BT only to get cut off when somebody answered.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution
We are all in this together as customers so please let me know your outcome. I empathise with your frustration, try not to throw anything through your windows!
0 Ratings