cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: DV phone security - flats and HMO dwellings

@imjolly

The DV service started up this morning about 6am (my new phone was already registered) and I was able to find it in the Hub Manager, de-register it, and then re-register. One big question for security was answered. Aside from this, I connected my plug-in phone to the back of my SH2. It worked, but it did not appear in the Hub Manager, neither in the usual  place as a hub-connected devices nor as a DV telephone device. I was able to make an adjustment from MyBT account to change the number of rings before calls were automatically answered.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

Does BT seriously think that, after 72 years of human experience, I am eager to pay by direct debit for the dubious experience of being press-ganged into a half-baked DV service which has deprived me of a perfectly useable system that worked even in an emergency during which the power failed (I was  flooded in 2019)? Yes, if I were at BT in charge of this project I would look to improve security sharpish and include some fixes in a future edition of firmware.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

If you think that registering a DV phone is a security risk, I have no idea why you are using the internet at all with its attendant multitude of real rather than imagined security risks. The registration of a DV handset doesn't even register in the noise!

Message 14 of 17

licquorice, dear chap, it would be quicker for BT to revise their firmware than it would be for us to end this discussion. "The registration of a DV handset doesn't even register in the noise!" This sounds like the next problem to me. Tower of Babel!

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

It will probably be quicker for hell to freeze over than BT change how handsets are registered. 😀

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Message 16 of 17

I know nothing of your relationship with BT, licquorice, but I would guess 'retired BT engineer on modest retainer as BT Community sage'? The security of my telephone account is obviously a major concern when a change is made to the telephone system. If I were in BT's position as the client of a technical development team, or even in my own position as a small customer of BT, I would expect a system to be developed in consultation with me. So far as I know, BT did not consult its customers over the DV system which BT wished to implement so as to release some real-estate in the form of telephone exchanges. What we have now is the idiotic spectacle of 'acceptance testing after roll-out'. Confusion, acrimony and possibly legal action might follow. Why was my local voicemail device replaced by a remote voicemail service which keeps my messages for only 24 hours? Why must I install a further device, a UPS containing I presume a substantial lithium-ion battery, in order to preserve my emergency phone facility? Why must I tolerate dodgy wireless security? Why must so many electrical socket outlets in my home be permanently occupied by BT equipment? Why, when I have an unlimited broadband plus weekend calls tariff, should I pay for a telephone service that works as internet?

Just a few gripes. The sound quality with DV is of course more than adequate but ... shouldn't it be in stereo sound with video?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

Retainer would be nice, alas I am just another customer like you.

0 Ratings