Message 11 of 26

Re: DV setup

Go to solution

@nicey1958 wrote:

I didn't say they don't have a clue. I do say that I know of a few of my neighbours don't and that includes ppl under the pensionable age. So go on, enlighten me as to those who are on copper now? what will happen when the date comes when copper service isn't provided.?  oh p.s   I'm retired as well. 🙂

They will be moved onto Digital and their copper phone line will no longer work. This has been explained many times on the forum and it has been debated and complained about to the nth degree all of which will make no difference because it is going to happen.

If the people who you know don't know what/ when or how it will happen they will be informed prior to the change over and the instructions of what they have to do are easy to follow and should present no problems for anybody that can read.

If they do however have a problem following the instructions for what ever reason their telephone provider will offer assistance and perhaps if they have a more informed neighbour they would possibly assist them.

Message 12 of 26

Go to solution

@licquorice  I agree I am also a pensioner however being a pensioner could well mean someone is more likely to have health problems and more likely to be dependent on some emergency contact device which works over copper.

Also despite BT's claims, very short notice of the change is sometimes given, I only had 2 days, Ofcom are equally concerned that telecom providers have not put enough effort into identifying vulnerable customers.

It is also not only age many people don't care about how there phones work and just expect them to work and just have not noticed the change is coming and without information being supplied by the telecom companies why should they or even if they heard about it without taking much notice of what it meant.

When dialing changed to tone from post again no one cared as the rotary dial phones still worked but this change is an entirely different league.

Message 13 of 26

Go to solution

There will have to be a step up in info effort when the easy transfers of FTTP  and FTTC customers are done. The current line only customers are perhaps a dwindling breed but their numbers must be substantial. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 26

Go to solution

@Tom20001  Yes it will not be easy, at least for customers, my brother in law, there must be many like him if I know one.

He has one phone plugged into the main and only socket in the hall.

He uses the phone a lot but does not have or want a mobile  or internet, he is not what anyone would class as disadvantaged but will not see why he should have to do anything to keep his phone working, yes BT may supply an adapter but there is no mains socket anywhere the phone socket and he will not want to either pay someone to put one in or have a trailing extension lead through the house.

I expect despite any endevour BT make when it stops working he will not know what to do and will have to find someone with a working phone and no doubt he will report it as a fault.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 26

Go to solution

@Bob1001 wrote:

@licquorice  I agree I am also a pensioner however being a pensioner could well mean someone is more likely to have health problems and more likely to be dependent on some emergency contact device which works over copper.

Also despite BT's claims, very short notice of the change is sometimes given, I only had 2 days, Ofcom are equally concerned that telecom providers have not put enough effort into identifying vulnerable customers.

It is also not only age many people don't care about how there phones work and just expect them to work and just have not noticed the change is coming and without information being supplied by the telecom companies why should they or even if they heard about it without taking much notice of what it meant.

When dialing changed to tone from post again no one cared as the rotary dial phones still worked but this change is an entirely different league.

What did they do when their TV signal changed to digital. Did they stop watching TV or did they manage to adapt to the change or get some assistance from somebody?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 26

Go to solution

I'm curious as to what the plan is for rural areas like mine where FTTP is unlikely to ever happen, & the fibre cabinet is full, then what? Are Openreach going to build more cabinets just for voice users when they've refused to build them to meet broadband demand? Seems unlikely.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 26

Go to solution

Remember, its only the PSTN equipment in the exchange is being closed down, the copper routing will remain for many users, with a a basic low rate DSL connection being provided from the exchange MSAN, over the copper pair.

An adapter of sorts will be needed, as described on the second page of this article.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/the-end-of-analogue-phone-lines-pt2

In theory, this could be powered from the exchange, just as it is now.

Message 18 of 26

Go to solution

@gg30340    When TVs changed from analogue to digital there was a long lead time and people had to buy a new TV or set top box and possibly have their aerial changed. It seemed everytime you turned on the TV there was a reminder that the change was coming.

However for certain categories of people (my grandmother at the time) could get a free set top box and aerial all installed for free so no effort.

How vulnerable people got free Freeview. 

Unfortunately some (ME) were left with a problem even with the highest gain yagi aerial I could get I was in a deep hole for freeview reception and in the end had to have a satellite dish.

BUT the difference was.

TV is not an essential whereas a phone is.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 26

Go to solution

There is a long lead time for DV. It has been advdertised and mail including snail mail sent out. I received "run up" notification months in advance that it was happening.

The phone providers are providing free phones and or adaptors so that ALL users can easily move to digital.

It is a moot point about a landline phone being essential but that if a whole new debate.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 26

Go to solution

@gg30340 

"The phone providers are providing free phones and or adaptors so that ALL users can easily move to digital."

I think we will have to choose to differ, for the majority yes but for a sizable minority no.

0 Ratings