Message 1 of 26

DV setup

Go to solution

I wish to keep my existing Router/ netgear xr500 for various reasons. At the moment it is setup connected to the ONC (hauwei brand/openreach) and has served me faultless for over 2 years now on 970mb Fibre). As the router does not have a DV port for phone, can you connect your phone to the ONC tel1 or 2 port? when it is eventually switched over?

cheers

Geoff.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: DV setup

Go to solution

No

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

The tel1 and tel2 ports on the ONT were intended for FVA (Fibre Voice Access), an OpenReach product which is now defunct, so no, you can't 

Message 4 of 26

Go to solution
thanks for that. Guess then I wont have a landline so I might as well switch to another provider. Will be cheaper as I can also get rid of BT sport and the mobiles which are on the same billing.
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

It's Openreach who are closing the copper phone system by 2025. So if you change to any provider that uses the Openreach network you will have to change to VOIP, DV equivalent, phone system by 2025.

Message 6 of 26

Go to solution
yes I know that. will just change simcard, use mobiles and use something similar (maybe a few quid dearer but better package from another provider. 🙂 goto ask tho, what happens to the tens of thousands of pensioners who depend on landline. Will they still connect to the socket and the cabinet will be fibre as is now?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

@nicey1958 

The reason for this, is explained on this two page website.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/the-end-of-analogue-phone-lines-pt1

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

@nicey1958  why does everybody think pensioners haven't got a clue?  As a pensioner I find it extremely insulting.

Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

@nicey1958  why does everybody think pensioners haven't got a clue?  As a pensioner I find it extremely insulting.

Cultural cluelessness.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

I didn't say they don't have a clue. I do say that I know of a few of my neighbours don't and that includes ppl under the pensionable age. So go on, enlighten me as to those who are on copper now? what will happen when the date comes when copper service isn't provided.?  oh p.s   I'm retired as well. 🙂

0 Ratings