cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Difference between DSL extension vs normal extension.

Hi, my master socket is the big square one with 2 ports (one on top, one on bottom).

when removing the face plate, there’s wires connected to the faceplate (pins 5 and 2) and then there’s wires connected to the A and B (data socket terminals) and then the incoming wire at the back of the socket to terminals A and B. 

im curious to know why I have some extensions wires connected to the extension face plate, and other wires which extend to my kitchen socket to the A and B terminals(data socket terminals)

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Difference between DSL extension vs normal extension.

the extensions connected to master terminals 2&5 will provide a phone only service whereas to the data terminals will allow you with a filter to connect a hub to get internet access - you can only have 1 router connected to the  line at any one time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Terminals 2&5 are filtered whereas the data terminals are unfiltered.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

But I thought you can still get internet on an extension socket if it’s connected to terminals 2 and 5 of a master socket? 

that’s why I’m wondering is there literally no difference in terms of internet performance between the data terminals and terminals 5 and 2?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

If you have a filters master socket as you have then you cannot get an internet connection on any extension socket connected to terminals 2&5 in master socket.  That is why there are data connections.

If it was an unfiltered master then you can get internet on any extension socket using a filter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.