cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Digital Phone With Asus Router

Hi there. We are having Digital voice forced into us on Monday. We have phone sockets in every RM of the house so this is a real pain.

However we have an Asus AX6100 WiFi 6 system connected to the openreach modem. The BT smart hub was appalling with multiple loses of connection daily. 

Have phoned BT to cancel landline as we don't really need it as literally have a 5G EE mast just outside of our garden. 

My question I suppose is how can BT switch over to Digital Voice and expect people to use a much outdated WiFi 5 router which simply could not deal with 80 plus connected devices just so we can use a landline. 

I suppose the penalty for having FTTP is a analogue phone can longer be used. It's not a massive issue with Alexa calling, mobiles etc.. but losing the emergency contact aspect of a landline I can see as a potential inconvenience.

Does anyone have any idea if Digital voice can be used with 3rd party routers. BT did not seem to believe so.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Digital Phone With Asus Router

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

BT Digital voice will only work using the SH2. You can port your number to VOIP provider and then use your Asus.

There are numerous posts on the forum discussing problems with changeover and during power cuts.  It is not BT Retail who have decided to stop PSTN and go VOIP . All suppliers will be affected if they use openreach network

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

For me this is just a little crazy. I understand that infrastructure needs updating but none of my neighbours as far as I know are aware of this.

In Wales there is an internet company called OGI who provide their own FTTP network and have laid their own fibre cables and installed their own fibre cabinets. Have no interest in using them as an internet provider but does anyone know how it would work for them. For example they provide an Amazon eero WiFi 6 mesh system with all of their 900Mbit FTTP.

Let's say for example I signed up with them in the future would that mean no possibility of a Land line. If that's the case they are going to have some unhappy customers. 

Thanks..

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

If you use the links in the FAQ THAT @jac_95  posted you should get more answers to your questions

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

The analogue phone service is being turned off in 2025 so you really do not have a choice to continue using the "old" copper landline phone service which is used by BT and any other phone service provider that uses the Openreach copper phone network. 

If you do not want to use the BT Smarthub or indeed BT, you can sign up to a VoIP digital phone service provider to supply you with a phone service.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Interesting I thought  the VoIP was mainly for business customers.  

Have no interest in leaving BT for in internet services. It's just we are a large household and the SmartHub 2 cannot deliver in are situation a reliable and fast enough service.

Another reason I switched from using the SmartHub was being forced to transmit BT WiFi around the neighbourhood. I asked BT to turn this off and opted out but it still transmitted afterwards.

Thanks for the info will have a look if there is a residential VoIP option available in my area.

Thanks..

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

See link for more info.

Digital Phone Lines | Openreach

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Re other providers and Alt nets such as Ogi only offer VoIP service or will do by 2025 and those using the current PSTN need to move to VoIP service if you have a voice service with them

0 Ratings