cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Digital Switchover - on hold

Hi all,

I recently heard that BT has decided that they are putting the migration from PSTN to DV on hold. Of course, I was thrilled and believed this was the right decision made by BT. They realized that due to disruption by Storm Arwen, which left many people without mobile signal or power relied on their phone line, they have put it on pause while they work on something better, which may be more effective during such circumstances. They even admitted they got it wrong!

1. Is this true? Although BT has posted about this on Twitter/their website, everywhere continues to say that you will be switched over to digital voice at some time soon.

2.  Does this mean they are not switching off PSTN in 2025, as it has been put on hold? Or are they still going ahead with that?

3. What does this mean for new customers of BT/transfer customers? Will they be able to get a new PSTN line installed/transfer their current PSTN service over to BT's PSTN service? When I spoke to BT before, they were happy to reconnect my PSTN line. This was in November. So surely they will still let have new customers have it?

I can't think of any more questions at the moment. Though when I do, I'll post them here.

Regards
Ryan

If this reply was helpful, please leave a like, or if I answered your question, please click 'mark as answer. Many thanks
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Digital Switchover - on hold

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

From what I can understand the changeover is just suspended and it does not seem the target date is to be changed, it is more how it was implemented rather than the actual DV. The whole telecom industry is committed to the change.

I believe new customers get DV and anyone else in the changeover areas who requested it BUT no one will be forced to change YET.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

The change to close the PSTN network is an industry wide change being done by Openreach and Virgin Media. BT Consumer is a communication provider that needs to make this change to VoIP based off this industry wide change. 

All Industry related info is available at: https://www.openreach.com/upgrading-the-UK-to-digital-phone-lines/industry

Openreach and communication providers are working with various organisation, bodies, industries and manufactures including healthcare and telecare.

The announcement from BT Consumer, https://newsroom.bt.com/were-pausing-our-digital-voice-plans-for-consumers-while-we-work-on-a-more-r... just relates to BT Consumer's unit and their own mass migration process. BT Consumer were ahead in the move to VoIP but have paused the mass migrations while they improve the process. Other Communication Providers are continuing on with their own migration to VoIP.

I also see from 29th March 2022, Openreach have updated their FAQs. The's one regarding communications which states:

"9.1 What is Openreach’s position on end customer communications with regards to the All IP programme and associated WLR withdrawal?

This is an ongoing discussion with industry through the Transitioning Copper Services to All IP Working group.

CPs are encouraged to proactively contact their end customers to understand their requirements and make appropriate arrangements to migrate them to All IP."

Therefore as you can see the industry wide change to all IP and voice services to VoIP still has it's milestones that communication provider need to hit. Therefore It would be a good time for individuals to contact their services/providers of equipment that uses the landline today to make sure they are ready for when BT Consumer restart the mandatory migrations to VoIP.