Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vram81
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Digital Voice - Battery Backup Unit

Hello!

Does anyone know how I can purchase the Battery Backup Unit for the Smart Hub 2 - it doesn't appear in the BT Shop and I can only find mention of it in some support pages. I neglected to order it when I placed my Full Fibre order 😞 

Before anyone asks, this is not the BBU that plugs into the OpenReach modem - it's a separate unit that is used to keep the hub powered in case of a power cut, so that the Digital Voice phones keep working. 

Thank you in advance

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Travelusa
Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Digital Voice - Battery Backup Unit

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 16

That is just an expensive UPS. Plenty of ones around on the net. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Travelusa
Expert
Message 4 of 16

Things i have noticed is that if i go for FTTP the same unit is used for powering the FTTP Modem.

I assume i would still have to use the SH2 to plug into the FTTP Modem so would bt supply a spliter or would i have to buy another BBU box.

it depend on how long your poweroutages are is it worth it if outages are only few mins.....I was advised by BT to have a mobile as a backup to call out.

Pluss i do have there small data box i can connect into that they gave me as part of contract

0 Ratings
duberry
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Can the BBU on the Echo Life HG8240 optical modem be used for the Smart Hub 2? Don’t want a massive amount of backup. 

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 16

As I previously mentioned, just get a decent UPS with a good capacity, plenty around. No need to buy the dedicated ones for BT Broadband. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Bernie533
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Am also looking for something like this but wouldn’t know which UPS is a decent one or not. Can you suggest any please ?
0 Ratings
stevepage
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

What your saying is only partially correct.

yes, you can use a regular UPS but if a power outage occurs it will provide mains voltage to power any connected device, this uses a lot of battery power as conversion from battery voltage to mains is very inefficient. That means a short run time.

The BT version outputs the correct DC voltage for the hub and not mains. This is a lot more efficient and means a greatly extended run time for the user.

Therefore, while not essential, it is advisable to use the correct type of UPS as recommended by BT.

dotsixbraille
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

Having just had a six and a half hour power cut I can confirm that the batteries in the BT fibre cabinet have a life of 6 hours. So if that is down also you'll lose phone in that short time. Even though BT knew the outage was scheduled for 7 hours they did nothing about reinforcing cabinet power temporarily. So that at present is the capacity you need for phone and router and fibre. 

I bought a £40 car battery and a £15 inverter. OK I have to put it together when power goes but that is much more power than most UPS and so you can run lights and recharge via USB as well. I've raised the short battery life of cabinets with BT and they admit it is an issue. I guess once all users are changed to fibre they'll either pull in all the cables and put a power line from the exchange or even just bundle some of the now redundant wires. 

Bob1001
Expert
Message 10 of 16

@vram81Typical BT, they make these changes and even if you want to buy battery back up (which should be included anyway) the "Cyberpower Back-up for BT Digital Voice" is out of stock in both  their business and residential shops.

I use a large and expensive UPS for both my hub and desktop PC etc

I also have a "SinKeu Portable Power Station,27000mAh/99Wh"  (not allowed to post a link) which lasts a lot longer than my UPS BUT you have to plug it in when you want to use it as you can't have it on charge and also supply power.

0 Ratings