cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Digital Voice DECT issue

Hi,

I have received the Digital Voice switchover email. In my home, DECT is useless, I live in a large house that was various farm buildings with thick walls, within a long area. In the past I've bought the most expensive long ranged DECT devices but could never get a signal from where the FTTP is located to the main living part of the house, despite even trying DECT repeaters (which BT do not support anyway).

However, I have CAT6 cabling throughout the buildings, with various hubs and switches, would this support the digital voice line instead?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Digital Voice DECT issue

your SH2 needs to be connected to the ONT

How do you cover your home just now for phone?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

The FTTP is located in a remote part of the house (where my office is).

The current copper phone line comes into the living areas of our house.

I have CAT6 from FTTP BT hub all through the house to support good wifi and physical network connections, but it's impossible for DECT to work on such distance and the makeup of the house walls etc.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@freeze wrote:

The FTTP is located in a remote part of the house (where my office is).

The current copper phone line comes into the living areas of our house.

I have CAT6 from FTTP BT hub all through the house to support good wifi and physical network connections, but it's impossible for DECT to work on such distance and the makeup of the house walls etc.

Then you would need to run a cable either from the phone socket on the smart hub 2 to where your phone system plugs into, or plug in a DV adapter which is within range of the SH2 DECT signal, and run a cable from there, to your phone socket.

If you had a spare pair of wires in your existing cabling, you could use that.

If the phone wiring goes into your office, then you could tee into the phone circuit at that point, and then disconnect the master socket. 

Message 5 of 7

From the FTTP I already have a spare CAT6 cable going into the main house, could this be used?

I would not be able to use new cabling as they were all added underground or hidden in the walls when the extensions/building connections were done.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@freeze wrote:

From the FTTP I already have a spare CAT6 cable going into the main house, could this be used?

I would not be able to use new cabling as they were all added underground or hidden in the walls when the extensions/building connections were done.

Thanks

You could use a single pair of that cable to extend the phone wiring, or you could move the Smart Hub 2 into the main house, and use that spare CAT6 cable to connect the Openreach ONT, to the WAN port on the smart hub 2. That would have to be electrically separate from any of the LAN cabling.

If you just extended the phone wiring, then you would need to terminate a phone plug on the home hub end of the cable, and plug it into the phone socket of the SH2. You would then need either a separate phone socket at the other end, or use the existing socket by removing the external line connection.

Message 7 of 7

Ah sounds like an plan, that is great, thank you Keith

0 Ratings