cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Digital Voice Essentials Home Phone 1.0 - Type A vs Type B - Safety Issue?

Go to solution
I suppose 'technically' there is a slight difference between the batteries and depending on the charging method used (volt dip or temp or just timed and trickle etc) then they are designed for the manufactures specifications for the cells. Probably dual sourcing the components which helps control costs maybe ?

But they are so close as to not really make a difference and now we have real world experience.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

Just to clarify, I did run this thread by the Digital voice device manager and both versions of the handset are designed to be mix and match so you can charge either type of handset on whichever base is convenient without any concerns. 

Thanks

Neil

Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

Thank you for the clarification from BT - much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

If this is the case why does the Type "A" base still have the plug and power cord? It would just be a dummy base.

I am about to be connected to BT fiber but I have been sent the phones (one type A and one type B) and am charging them up to be ready fully charged when I am connected. I arrived at this community when I was searching the reason for two types of phones as I could see no difference in the instruction leaflets apart from different item numbers for the base and battery capacity. Actually the type B base had two item codes on the label. One 092132 as informed on the leaflet and in smaller print 090257 near the top edge of the label. 

I measured the voltage on the type A base connectors as 6.1 Volts for the 800mAh batteries and 6.35 Volts on the type B base connectors for the 850 mAh batteries.

Probably someone deep down in BT can give a definitive answer to this but I can only think that it is an attempt to prevent both phones discharging below operating level at the same approximate time

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

@roythebikewrote:

Probably someone deep down in BT can give a definitive answer to this but I can only think that it is an attempt to prevent both phones discharging below operating level at the same approximate time

I think you might be over thinking this.

Probably a dual sourcing of handsets and you get whatever is on the shelf at the time of packing.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

Hi

Just for info.

I received 2 basic BT digital phones prior to changeover (happened about 6 weeks ago now). I noticed that I had 2 different phone types (as per this thread), and noted the discrepencies regarding the charging rates etc.

Considering this as a possible safety issue I contacted BT who connected me with BT tech team.  Initially, they were not aware that there were 2 different types being given to customers.  As I was raising this as a safety issue, BT arranged to send me another phone (which was bound to match one of the two I had) and for me to return the other.  This I did and now have 2 Type B phones.

The BT tech team took note of the different specs and said they would look into it. Although they said it was not likely to be an issue, they would fully check it.

Regards from Livingston, Scotland
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

@leshaywrote:

The BT tech team took note of the different specs and said they would look into it. Although they said it was not likely to be an issue, they would fully check it.

There has already been an official reply to this question within this thread.

There isn't a problem, either are fine in whatever charging base you put them in.

Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

Here's a bit more background as to why the handsets have different batteries.

We specified a standby and talk time for the handsets. The Type A Handset needs to use slightly higher capacity batteries to achieve this.

So, the batteries in the Type A ( Essential) handsets are a bit different: 800MaH instead of 750mAh.
Both of those batteries used in the same usage situation, the Type A will last a little bit longer.  Conversely, they will also take longer to charge.

There are no safety conflicts.  They will all work no matter how you mix and match all the components.

The only things to note are that:

Swapping the batteries will lead to different standby times.
Swapping the batteries could give odd battery level readouts.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

Hello NeilO

The batteries for BT Essential phones Type A and Type B as you say the Type A batteries may last a bit longer should I use the Type A phone as the main phone and Type B phone as the extension phone upstairs?

Thanks

Daiveyp

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

whatever suits you.  type 'B' may last slightly longer but that will depend on usage

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings