cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 42

Re: Digital Voice Scam

@Digitalvoicescam 

In addition to the comments by @jac_95 

The reason for this, is explained on this two page website.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/the-end-of-analogue-phone-lines-pt1

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 42

FYI,  DV doesn’t use ‘WiFi’ ,  the router , although providing WiFi for devices that connect that way doesn’t connect your DV phones over WiFi , the supplied DV phone is DECT the same as every other domestic cordless landline phone, so if you had cordless phones and now have cordless DV phones they operate in exactly the same way…they are not ‘WiFi’ , the WiFi signal is irrelevant when it comes to DV.

TBH , there were complaints when unleaded petrol was withdrawn, there were complaints when  analogue TV broadcasts were discontinued and there will be some who will complain about the removal of the PSTN phone network , but a few complaints will be if no consequence, you cannot hold back technology, simply because a few are  resistant to change.

The only real complaint of any VOIP phone service is if the local power goes off , the phone won’t work ( and that can be easily negated by a UPS ) there is no evidence that it will be any less reliable than the current PSTN service , what’s more that is past its useful life , being in the most part over 30 years old.

Obviously you are  at liberty to move provider but whoever you move to , even if they can reconnect your copper pair service , it will ultimately be a stop gap, broadband was a service delivered over the top of your telephone service, that is changing where telephony will be the service delivered using broadband and all providers will eventually provide phone services that way, many won’t even bother with telephony.

Message 13 of 42

“you can just plug your existing phone base station into the back of the Smart Hub 2”

just out of interest if you can plug an existing phone into the SH2 would it be possible to wire existing extension phone sockets into the back of the SH2?

ta

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 42

@Addy wrote:

“you can just plug your existing phone base station into the back of the Smart Hub 2”

just out of interest if you can plug an existing phone into the SH2 would it be possible to wire existing extension phone sockets into the back of the SH2?

ta

Yes you can.

There is nothing to stop you linking the phone socket on the back of the SH2, into your existing phone wiring.

You just need a lead like this. 

Keith_Beddoe_0-1622464700397.jpeg

Message 15 of 42

@imjolly When you renew your contact and you are provided with an "Advanced Phone" for free, advertised as being for hard of hearing that doesn't work with your current phone set up, only finding out many months later after a forced unannounced change to DV that the phone was actually for use with that system, which relies on wifi to function, and aren't told anything else by BT even after extensive conversations with their management. I'm also not surprised BT had no idea what was going on, as I seen zero information myself in the press about digital voice, and I know no one personally who had ever heard of it at the time about 6 months ago. Much more to the point, BT should be informing customers of changes and potential changes to their service instead of forcing it out of the blue with no option to change. There are still various things that DV relies on that a copper line did not, and the lack of information around it all to customers is shocking.

@iniltous We were provided with nothing for digital voice when it was changed. We discovered that something which was described to us as an "Advanced Phone" when we renewed our contract last year was advertised for those who are hard of hearing - for free of course, bless their hearts - was what we now know as actually being a digital phone as we couldn't use it when we received it. Also, DV does use wifi unless you have your landline plugged into the back of the smarthub, something BT neglected to tell us, even BT management couldn't tell us that. And that wifi is required for their digital phone bases.

To me, the only reason they've done this is they think enough people don't use a landline anymore to warrant changing it, and now we digitise or modernise just for the sake of it, instead of for the benefit of making things better. Comparing this to a change in petrol or TV system is not relevant in my opinion. We rely on our power for DV to work. We rely on having a router, and it being on to work. We rely on internet being functional for it to work. I am unsure what you mean by no evidence, or why it would be deemed to be past it's "useful life" - new technology doesn't mean it's automatically better either. None of these affect a copper line whatsoever, and I've never truly had an issue with a landline call that wasn't the fault of the handset used or a faulty line set up.

@jac_95 After much back and forth many months ago I did find out about the roll out etc and most of the information you mentioned - thanks for the info of course. As of only a few months ago BT themselves barely knew what they were talking about with DV, and told me it does rely on wifi, as in the advanced base phones we got from renewing our contract which weren't advertised as digital voice at all, but for hard of hearing, which is why we couldn't use them and we were trying to return them, until we suddenly got forcefully migrated and our landline stopped working. We were never told about using our current phone system, albeit it still relies on power and internet. There is a deliberate lack of information being provided to customers as I reckon - in my opinion - they knew it was being rushed out and the public wouldn't like it.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 42

Sigh, how many times does it have to be said? Digital Voice does NOT use wifi, it is DECT.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 42

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 42

@licquorice  I thought I'd gotten across earlier that your childish input was not wanted, but that's the classic internet user for you. Anyway, feel free to say whatever your heart desires, I've mentioned my suggestions and feedback regarding BT which is the only reason I am here.

Many thanks to all others who provided actual information.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 42

As I posted before and as others have also posted the DV WORKS USING DECT not WiFi so your good or bad WiFi is immaterial to DV

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 42

@Digitalvoicescam wrote:

@licquorice  I thought I'd gotten across earlier that your childish input was not wanted, but that's the classic internet user for you. Anyway, feel free to say whatever your heart desires, I've mentioned my suggestions and feedback regarding BT which is the only reason I am here.

Many thanks to all others who provided actual information.

None so blind as those that will not see.