cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Digital Voice - Telephone (Dect/Gap) - 'auto' registration and link to the Router

Go to solution

Please can anybody confirm if the new 'Premier Range' cordless phone/answerphone will 'auto' register and connect to my   SH2 router (FTTP)  , using the 'WPS' button  ?      - 

Home Phone Iocations dictate that I cannot plug 'directly' in the router.

The 'Essential' and 'Advanced Range'  'do'  auto connect to the router, despite nothing in the detail spec. 

I am looking at the Premier Phone, having been switched to 'Digital Voice', just very recently, and require new handsets.   

Thank You

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Digital Voice - Telephone (Dect/Gap) - 'auto' registration and link to the Router

Go to solution

Hi @Brian12 

What you need is a DV Adapter to connect the old digital Premium Phone in to a location of your choosing.

https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/phones/digital-voice/digital-voice-adapter

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Re: Digital Voice - Telephone (Dect/Gap) - 'auto' registration and link to the Router

Go to solution

Thank you for your prompt reply !

However, this 'Premium Range' IS a new phone, and just like its sister ranges of 'Essential' and 'Advanced', I would have expected it to connect automatically   -   it has the latest technology to link/sync mobiles, so to register to a router/WPS button seems less complex ?

Are you aware this phone does not sync to routers ? 

No one at the BT Call Centres' seem to know , as they are only reading off 'scripts', for which BT have poorly prepared their new documentation, and have not anticipated there will be many diverse questions asked which are more customer driven rather than a user manual could display ??

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @Brian12 

Yes I know all about the Premium Phone as I have had the trio set for a year or so now and sync it with my mobile phone to share contacts. The Premium Phone only connects to the old standard telephone system (i.e. not Digital Voice). The only way to use it is to connect it to the telephone socket on the SH2 or use the DV Adapter when you have Digital Voice. As you say the new Essential and Advanced phones are true Digital Voice phones, the Premium Phone is not.

Sorry to be clear, it does not register on the SH2. You connect it to a DV Adapter (which registers on the SH2) and connect the Premium Phone to it’s telephone socket. I would download the manual from the link I provided for a full explanation. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you again, and for your clear and concise answer ! 

-  I have been trying ,now, for nearly 10 days with BT , and many hours on the telephone, to get to this answer ?

I am surprised that this is not a 'Digital Voice' phone, and wondered if by using a DV Adapter, would that 'limit' it's functionality ?  I am also not clear how the phone links to the DV adapter whilst linking to the SH2 Router at the same time  ?

Are you happy with the Premier Phone ( I rather preferred the Answerphone Cradle Layout), and also the possibility of sync to Mobiles, allowing the inter change between Landline and Mobile ?

Failing that, what would you recommend instead from BT Digital Voice  router/ sync phones  ?

Thank you for your Help !!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

The SH2 acts as addict base station and the DV adapter connects to hub dect not the WiFi.  You connect to the adapter using the normal phone connector which in turn connects phone to hub.  You may lose some functionality but you need to connect phone to find out.

You need to connect  the SH2 to internet for digital voice 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Thank You !

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @Brian12 

The true value of the Premium Phone is it’s call blocking facility. Syncing my contacts with my mobile and email (outlook) contacts is a bonus. I been using nuisance call blocking phones since they were introduced and haven’t had a single cold call in many years.

Think of the DV Adapter as a bridge between the old standard telephone system and digital voice. The DV Adapter registers on the SH2 the same as the Essential and Advanced phones. You then plug the Premium Phone into the DV Adapter using the phone cord.

As far as I know there are only 3 true Digital Voice phones, Essential, Advanced and Advanced with Alexa. All other phones in the BT Shop are standard phones.

I cannot see why all the features of the Premium Phone should not work while connected to the DV Adapter apart from high quality sound! I would certainly recommend it as it provides call blocking sadly missing on the DV phones.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Thank You again,

Will this '1' DV Adapter support several handsets, or do you have to buy 'several' to go in different parts of the house where the handsets are  ? 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @Brian12   The Premium Phone has only one connection for it’s base station / answering machine supporting multiple handsets so only one DV Adapter is required. For example if you buy the Quad then it comes with four handsets.