cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Digital Voice & Mobile phone

I currently have a system that allows me to use my smartphone to make landline calls.
When I upgrade to Digital Voice, is there a system that allows me to make landline calls from my smartphone?
If so, how?
When the transition occurs, can I keep my landline number, and how do I find relevant tariffs?

As I have FTTC can I use Digital Voice now?
Thank you very much for your help.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Digital Voice & Mobile phone

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

@DinghySailor wrote:

I currently have a system that allows me to use my smartphone to make landline calls.
When I upgrade to Digital Voice, is there a system that allows me to make landline calls from my smartphone?
If so, how?

Presumably the device just plugs into your phone socket, if so, simply plug it into the green socket at the rear of the hub which is effectively the analogue landline socket.
When the transition occurs, can I keep my landline number, and how do I find relevant tariffs?

Yes, tarrifs are the same as your current landline tarrifs.  PAYG, 700 minutes or unlimited minutes

As I have FTTC can I use Digital Voice now?

Yes, if it supported at your exchange. It is not the delivery technology that determines availability.
Thank you very much for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Many thanks for your help.

I was wondering - as the current device is unreliable, is there a device - or a capability in Digital Voice so I may use my smartphone to make/ receive calls as though I am using my landline?

There were several devices available a couple of years ago, but these seem to be getting phased out because of the new digital networks...

Many thanks,

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

@DinghySailor wrote:

Many thanks for your help.

I was wondering - as the current device is unreliable, is there a device - or a capability in Digital Voice so I may use my smartphone to make/ receive calls as though I am using my landline?

There were several devices available a couple of years ago, but these seem to be getting phased out because of the new digital networks...

Many thanks,

No, calls can only be made via the BT Smart Hub 2, as that establishes a secure connection back to the phone network.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

The only device I can find is Voice Bridge which is presumably the device you have now.

Not entirely sure of the point of such a device, surely it is no different to using a cordless handset.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Many thanks for the replies.

The purpose of the Invoxia Voice Bridge is that I can have all my calls on one device - and in theory, I can make a call from my landline from Australia. That would be if I had ever been to Oz! But I did test that from maybe 20 miles away - and as I don't have reliable mobile signals on any network, the landline is the only way I can sensibly phone, and using my mobile means I can also take and make calls hands free.

If only it worked reliably, I would be happy.

As it is very unreliable,  I am trying to find a replacement that I can depend on!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Many thanks - is there another way to allow my smartphone to make and receive landline calls?
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@DinghySailor wrote:
Many thanks - is there another way to allow my smartphone to make and receive landline calls?

You can receive calls by diverting your phone number to your mobile, but you cannot make calls from your mobile and make them originate from your phone number.

BT Digital Voice is not an open implementation of VOIP, so it cannot be installed on a mobile phone, it only allows the BT Smart Hub 2 to receive and make calls over a secured connection. This allows verification of the originator, whereas some VOIP systems allow number spoofing.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Many thanks for the guidance - I wasn't seeking a VOIP solution - just a way of using my smartphone to seamlessly use my landline.
It seems - unless I am mistaken that there isn't a solution currently, which seems odd!
Kind Regards,

0 Ratings