cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Digital Voice and Devolo WiFi extenders

Go to solution

Next week I will be changed over to Digital Voice. I have been sent a new advanced BT phone and am OK about connecting it to the BT Smarthub 2. I live in a very old and very long house and currently use Devolo wifi extenders which plug into the mains sockets to extend the wifi signal from the BT Smarthub to the more distant parts of the house, and with excellent results. If I buy two more advanced BT phones (and plug their stations into the mains) will they also serve to extend the phone coverage to these distant areas? Thank you/

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Digital Voice and Devolo WiFi extenders

Go to solution

The Digital Voice phones (both Essential and Advanced) connect to the Smart Hub 2 using DECT (not WiFi), in a similar way to other cordless phones (except that they do not have a base station connected to the phone line). The Smart Hub 2 includes the DECT base station.

The range of DECT phones is good compared with WiFi. Best to set up the one phone you are getting and the try it in the furthest room to make sure it works.

Richard

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Very helpful, thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

And if the range does not extend to the more distant rooms what do you suggest as a solution?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

If your house has phone wiring into those rooms then you could connect the phone socket on the back of the hub to that wiring (as long as you disconnect the master socket from the incoming redundant copper phone line). Others have discussed how to do that here so you can search to find out what they have done.

Richard

Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks again. I will see what the range is like.  Nigel

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Suggest you get a digital voice adaptor. It will give you a phone socket in any room of the house (there are limitations)

https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/phones/digital-voice/digital-voice-adapter

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I have now looked at a photo of one so understand what they look like. Excuse me for being daft, but what type of phone will plug into them. I am getting increasingly baffled by the variety of phones available. We live in Cornwall in the house where my grandparents lived and they had the first phone in our village - how life has moved on!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

You can plug any type of phone into the socket of the adaptor, corded, cordless.

So if you already have a cordless phone base station you can plug it into the adaptor. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks, understood.

0 Ratings