cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: Digital Voice and TP Link adapters

Go to solution

Do you have FTTC or FTTP or moving to FTTP hence the change to DV?

if you are not moving to FTTP but have FTTC then you cannot disconnect the incoming openreach wiring from the master socket as that is required for your broadband. There is still a solution for existing extensions just slightly more effort

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 12 of 15

Go to solution

Many thanks.

The master socket looks like number 4 in your illustrations.

Your solution looks very appealing, but I would appreciate your detailed advice on the rewiring, if you would be so kind - I am no expert on telephones and rather apprehensive about taking apart a BT socket! If it helps, I'll briefly describe the layout  I have. Plugged into the master BT socket is the broadband filter, and plugged into the phone socket on that is a BT double socket adapter carrying an extension cable. Phone number 1 (closest to the Hub) is plugged into one of the adapter sockets, whilst the cable runs to a distribution board in the loft. From there, four separate runs of cable go to wall-mounted BT extension sockets, each carrying a broadband filter. At the Hub end, the master TP Link Powerline adapter plugs into one of the Ethernet sockets; this is paired with two "slave" Powerline adapters - one links to my hi-fi system, the other, which is upstairs, is connected to an 8-way TP Ethernet distribution board, which then feeds wired internet to various devices.

I would dearly like to avoid having to use unnecessary adapters, and to make this DV transition as simple as possible, so I hope this helps - thanks again!

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 15

Go to solution

@DBC wrote:

Many thanks.

Plugged into the master BT socket is the broadband filter, and plugged into the phone socket on that is a BT double socket adapter carrying an extension cable. Phone number 1 (closest to the Hub) is plugged into one of the adapter sockets, whilst the cable runs to a distribution board in the loft. From there, four separate runs of cable go to wall-mounted BT extension sockets, each carrying a broadband filter.

@DBC 

Just plug the extension cable into the phone socket on the back of the smart hub 2, once you are moved over to BT Digital voice. That is all you should need to do.

As the extension cable is on a plug, its very easy to simply move it over.

Message 14 of 15

Go to solution

@DBC 

As I posted if you have FTTC which from you post appears likely then the suggested solution on removing the openreach incoming wires from master will not work. They are needed for your broadband

You would need to disconnect the extension wiring from master then using a new extension  socket connect the extension wiring to terminals 2&5 then connect the socket on back of hub to this new extension socket. You existing extensions should now work as before without adapters

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 15 of 15

Go to solution

Many thanks

A brilliant solution which, as soon as you'd pointed it out, was blindingly obvious! I'll need a short extension cable to make the connection, but that's a trivial issue. Thank you again, your correspondence has saved me an awful lot of faffing about.

Regards 

DBC

0 Ratings