cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Digital Voice and calling from a hub-connected device

Go to solution

I'm being switched to BT DV tomorrow. This just occurred to me - given I will be able to make a call from a BT DV phone via my hub (or a conventional phone via an adapter and my hub), surely BT could come up with an app that would allow calls on my number to be made and received  on other devices (PC, Mac, tablets etc.) connected to the hub via W-Fi, cable etc?  Hardware compatibility would appear to be a non-issue...

Or is this something that's already available?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Digital Voice and calling from a hub-connected device

Go to solution

@globe1nh 

Its a DECT link not Wi-Fi, to the phones and adapter.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Understood.  What I was querying was whether other devices connected to the hub could also act as/emulate phones given that at some point it all becomes data into/out of the broadband infrastructure...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@globe1nh wrote:

Understood.  What I was querying was whether other devices connected to the hub could also act as/emulate phones given that at some point it all becomes data into/out of the broadband infrastructure...

No, a secure encrypted connection is established between the Smart Hub 2, and a couple of secure BT servers. At no point does any of the voice traffic appear on the local LAN.

The only voice access is either via the phone socket on the Smart Hub 2, or via the DECT base station, to the DV phones and DV adapter.

You course connect an analogue interface to your PC, with a dialler, and make call that way. Or you could use a third party VOIP provider.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks Keith

0 Ratings