cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 26

Re: Digital Voice and power cuts - mitigation

Go to solution

I bought a BR700ELCD ups last weekend.
I did an initial check using two 240V LED lights; three and four watts. All seemed to be OK so I switched off and allowed the battery to charge until I was sure it was fully charged.
I connected the Modem, Hub2  and Hybrid Unit (in the operational situation), to the protected outputs of the ups.
The battery lasted just under two hours. The phone worked correctly on digital voice.
I hope this is of interest.

Message 12 of 26

Go to solution

@Pjay37 

That information should be of use to many people, as an alternative to the BT units, provided everything is in the same location. It does have the advantage that existing phone base units can also be powered from it. 

It also gives voltage regulation and surge protection to all of the units plugged into it.

Message 13 of 26

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe @Pjay37 

Ordered one today folks. My thanks to both of you for your help and guidance. Massively appreciated

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 26

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe  Keith, you refer to an ONT which i gather should be part of the installation of a fibre connection. My line is still the original copper from the house to the pole in the road. Would a power supply such as you have suggested give me a connection if used to just power the Hub 2? We are registered as vulnerable and since i am being bombarded with leaflets and emails telling me we are being switched to DV i am obviously concerned that having to rely on a mobile isn’t ideal. Thanks for any advice you may have.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 26

Go to solution

@ChrisGeewrote:

@Keith_Beddoe  Keith, you refer to an ONT which i gather should be part of the installation of a fibre connection. My line is still the original copper from the house to the pole in the road. Would a power supply such as you have suggested give me a connection if used to just power the Hub 2? We are registered as vulnerable and since i am being bombarded with leaflets and emails telling me we are being switched to DV i am obviously concerned that having to rely on a mobile isn’t ideal. Thanks for any advice you may have.

Hi @ChrisGee  I am still on the original copper (FTTC) only and I bought a BR1000ELCD (only because it was cheaper than the BR0700ELCD at the time that I bought it). I am on Digital Voice (the HD phones are great and crystal clear for this old one). I estimate the UPS will give me WiFi and phones for two hours plus in the event of a power cut.

Message 16 of 26

Go to solution

Just out of interest,

Does anyone know of the requirements for the network operator to provide back up power for the VDSL/G.Fast elements in the cabinets ?  The (pre-DV) voice element was always backed-up from the exchange.

Regards,

Dave S

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 26

Go to solution

The DLAMs in the fttc cabs and for g.fast have a few 12v batteries I believe and are remotely monitored.

However in exchanges there were batteries and diesel generators. Though with the closing of the PSTN network and the move to VoIP and a shift to full fibre first you can't push power through a fibre cable that only carries light.

Have a read of this OFCOM document about the guidance on customers ordering battery backup/UPS https://www.ofcom.org.uk/_data/assets/pdf_file/0016/123118/guidance-emergency-access-power-cut.pdff

Message 18 of 26

Go to solution

If your question is do VDSL/Gfast cabinets have a battery back up themselves in case a power failure affects them ( as they are mains powered ) then the answer is Yes, there was a case where a VDSL cab was victim to a power outage , and the power company ( for whatever reason ) took an age to restore power , OR had to continually replace the discharging battery’s ( which can only keep the equipment running for a relatively short period ) , with fully charged battery’s until the power was restored .

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 26

Go to solution

To add to the batteries in the FTTC cabinet are just to power the VDSL equipment in the cabinet and not intended to put power down the copper line.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 26

Go to solution

@jac_95  and @iniltous 

Many thanks for your answers - I was not sure whether the Network element was subject to similar availability requirements that voice circuits have traditionally had to support during power loss.

Once again,

Thanks

DaveS