cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Digital Voice - do you have to have wifi enabled on the SH2?

Go to solution

Hi,

Does DV require you to enable Wifi on the SH2? I know the adapter and phone that BT are selling seem to be wifi devices, but if you hook a DECT phone directly to the SH2, will it insist on Wifi being enabled?

Thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Digital Voice - do you have to have wifi enabled on the SH2?

Go to solution

Digital Voice adapters and handsets use DECT to connect to the Smart Hub 2 and not WiFi

Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Perfect, thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

That's interesting, as I've been onto BT about the hub not being configured yet for DV (seems I've got to wait until I get a letter of the date).

I received the ADV phone and adaptor, but the Hub telephone part is greyed out, so can't pair.  I contacted BT to see if they can sort the switchover sooner, but I've got to wait.  However, she  mentioned to me while on the phone that my WiFi is switched off.  I said yes, I don't want it on.  She said I would have to enable it for the ADV phone to work.  I told her I believed it uses a DECT base station system in the hub to connect to DECT phones and not WiFi used for the internet wireless signal.  She told me no and that I needed to switch it on for it to work?

So not sure what is going on as this would seem to conflict with what you have just said above.

I hate the Smart Hub 2 or any BT Hub for that matter, so have been using my own routers for the last 3 years with our FTTP direct to the house.  In order to have digital voice I realised I needed to use the Smart Hub 2, so have now set the Smart Hub up to relay internet traffic to my own router via port forwarding and this handles all the DHCP addressing and connects to the other router in the house via LAN.

It all works swimmingly.  I only want the Wifi on my own routers, so have the WiFi, Firewall, Smart Setup and DHCP all switched off on the Smart Hub 2.  I really want to avoid having another 2 WiFi channels in the house because of interference as that would mean 6 WiFi channels.

Can somebody in the know please confirm that I don't need Smart Hub 2 Wifi for the Digital Voice to connect / operate please, thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

you don't need the wifi active on the SH2 for DV to work - uses dect as you already posted

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Ok, thanks for the confirmation, it seems they need to tighten up on their staff training on 150 then.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

@Abraxiswrote:

Ok, thanks for the confirmation, it seems they need to tighten up on their staff training on 150 then.

I don't know how these people are trained but it's been clear for many years that for a significant number of them, it simply doesn't work.

Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
The BT lady was quite 'matter of fact' about it, so rather than go into anything I left it at that and have had it confirmed here. It's a bit annoying though as this is very misleading, especially for the less technically minded that may take it as gospel coming from BT itself.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

this lack of knowledge has been raised with forum mods already but taking time to get all CS staff trained in the ins and outs of DV

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Hi Abraxis,

Just want to check with you about the set-up. I am basically in a similar situation as you are, using my own managed wifi network to cover the whole house.

In your setup, do you use the Essential Digital Home Phone provided by BT? Can they still connect to smart hub 2 despite both wifi channels on the smart hub 2 being turned off?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Horace

0 Ratings