cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

Digital Voice migration if not using Smart Hub 2

I'm on BT Full Fibre 900 but connect it directly to my own router using PPPoE. This means I'm not using the Smart Hub 2 (it just sits unused in its box) so will no longer have a landline phone service. I would use the Smart Hub 2 in bridge mode ala what Virgin Media boxes offer with Modem Mode, however according to other posts here Smart Hub 2 doesn't offer such a thing, and I expect such a passthrough mode wouldn't work with Digital Voice anyway.

Is BT planning to offer alternatives for those of us who would still like a landline backup to our mobile phone? I know I'm not the only person who prefers to use my own more powerful/flexible router and wifi APs.

(I've checked the Digital Voice FAQs and couldn't find an answer to this)

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: Digital Voice migration if not using Smart Hub 2

If you wish to have BT Digital Voice, you are compelled to use the Smart Hub2. However, you can have broadband without a voice service from BT and use a third party VoIP provider.

Message 3 of 24

Thanks for confirming that licquorice, I'll look into others VoIP options.

Regarding my current phone socket, is that customer-removable since it'll be a paper weight after switch over?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

Strictly speaking, the master socket is the responsibility of Openreach but..........

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

@licquorice wrote:

Strictly speaking, the master socket is the responsibility of Openreach but..........

… you won’t be the only one 😉

Message 6 of 24

@licquorice @jac_95 Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but in that case, do you think Openreach would come and remove the old master socket for free? I've been thinking about removing mine too, as they are now useless at both properties that have been migrated to DV and are just lumps stuck to the wall!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

Very doubtful, why not ask them.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

why not just remove it and fit a blanking plate to cover the space as much neater

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

@licquoricewrote:

Very doubtful, why not ask them.

Fair point. I'll ask BT next time I call them for anything. Just wondered if anyone had already had experience of it already.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

@imjollywrote:

why not just remove it and fit a blanking plate to cover the space as much neater

I'll probably do that, or remove it all including the back box and fill the hole.

0 Ratings