cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Digital Voice setup with 2 types of phone

Go to solution

Pre DV I had a phone setup consisting of 4 x  BT 8500 DECT phones. The Base Unit with Answerphone was located in the Hallway with 3 additional phones in Bedrooms and Office. Post DV I moved the Base Unit to the Office as that was where my BT Smart Hub 2 was located. I simply plugged the relocated Base Unit into the phone socket on the Smart Hub and all worked fine. My query is whether I should take advantage of the new Advanced Digital Home Phone (as it is free!) and relocate the BT 8500 Base unit with Answerphone back to the Hallway, also keeping the 2 additional BT 8500 phones in the bedrooms. Will such a setup work and would there be any impact on the quality of the "reception" on all 4 phones given it will be a mix?

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Digital Voice setup with 2 types of phone

Go to solution

your BT8500 base need to be connected to the socket on the back of the SH2 otherwise it will not work - unless you currently have FTTP and then can make a few small changes to your existing home wiring to get the existing phone sockets to work

you could also get the DV adapter which will plug into mains socket in hall and connect by dect to SH2 and you can then connect your existing BT8500 base to the adapter and will work like before

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Many thanks for your response - much appreciated. Just to confirm my original post my BT 8500 Base Unit is currently connected to the Smart Hub 2 and all works fine, including all the additional handsets.

If I understand you correctly if I get the new DV Handset all my current BT 8500 phones will need the adapter to work. Is that right?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @morrig47 you will only need the adapter if you want to relocate the BT8500 to a location away from the Smart Hub 2. You can still have the BT 8500 connected the way it is at the moment and add the DV handset to the set-up.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@morrig47 

you asked if you could connect the new DV phone and move your base unit into the hall.  you can connect the DV phone and leave Bt 8500 base connected to hub or if you want BT 8500 base in hall then you need a DV adapter connected in hall and the Bt8500 connects to that.  both new and old phone will work.  you can't transfer calls between the new DV phone and existing phones

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Neil. Many thanks - all clear now!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Brilliant - fully understand now. Many thanks

0 Ratings