cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 400

Re: Digital Voice with different Router

Go to solution

I would first check to see if your property is classified by BT as Brownfield or Greenfield. If its the former they will give you Fibre but not Digital Voice (just happened for me). Brownfield sites get a mandatory copper landline for phone calls 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 400

Go to solution

Brownfield sites would normally have an existing copper infrastructure, so it makes sense to use it, rather than go to the trouble of providing Digital Voice at the moment.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 400

Go to solution

In my case I do not have a copper line - always been on Virgin - BT would have to install a new copper line, rather than just activate DV. How stupid is that?

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 400

Go to solution

I would expect BT to provide more guidance because in our area  they have monopoly of the provision of fibre and should show more consideration of customer preferences. The guidance provided by choppyc was generic, not specific to his/her router and would be relevant to many customers.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 400

Go to solution

BT provide a broadband service and a means to utilise that service. If you require something different, it is not incumbent upon BT to detail how that can be achieved. 

BT do not have a monopoly anywhere.

The fibre network is provided by Openreach, not BT and is available to all providers.

Message 16 of 400

Go to solution

Thanks for confirming the roles of BT and Openreach. Although BT was my preference for fibre broadband, I did look for alternative suppliers using the Openreach fibre as you suggest. However, after having 'nothing for your location' responses from SSE, Shell Energy, EE, Now Broadband, TalkTalk, Plusnet and Vodafone, I reverted to BT. The reality out here is that there is hardly any choice, for whatever reason.

I used Online Chat with BT and actually signed up during  the Chat because the agent said they would be able to supply a Master Socket and a splitter that would enable me to use my current BT phone.  I also had email dialog confirming I could use my Netgear router for internet connection, with full context of my account.  

When  the Openreach guy arrived to hook it up, he dismissed the Master Socket I'd been sent as obsolete, and when I showed him the Chat transcript he said the agent didn't know what they were talking about. He also had not  been made aware of the email dialog I'd had with BT confirming ability to use my Netgear stuff. 

So I was left with the opposite of what I'd been led to expect.

The connections between Openreach and BT seem ropey; I had texts hours after Openreach had left, telling me he would be there shortly.

I appreciate this is off topic relative to me wanting something different from BT's standard offering, I'm just an unhappy customer.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 400

Go to solution

Hello jamestrever.  Did you attempt to replicate the configuration that works for choppyc? I'm plucking up the courage to give it a shot and would welcome any guidance from anywhere...

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 400

Go to solution

A couple of points.

Although it would incur extra cost, you could always use your Netgear router and a third party VoIP provider rather than BT digital voice.

Other ISPs choose not to offer FTTP for whatever reason rather than it is not available to them.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 400

Go to solution

Thanks liquorice, I'll check that out. We just didn't want to lose our landline number. Yes, understood it's the ISPs choosing not to play. It's why we had to move from Plusnet after about 20 years.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 400

Go to solution

hi, im having issues setting this up like you explained. im connected but certain sites will not load (imn guessing dns issue)

you said that you need to connect router to smart hub via lan cable, but which do i connect the wan cable from the fibre box to? do i connect it to the smart hub or to my third party router? thanks

0 Ratings