cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 181 of 400

Re: Digital Voice with different Router

Go to solution

If BT were breaking Ofcom regulations the lawyers would be all over it like a rash.

0 Ratings
Message 182 of 400

Go to solution
This is not how I understand it - of course they can't discriminate other VoIP providers but when the ISP is actually provider of the VoIP service the hardware clause apply accordingly. Even more so when products are bundles as a package.
0 Ratings
Message 183 of 400

Go to solution
I tend to disagree - it wouldn't be the first time when big corporation breaks the law and it takes a while before regulators and general public manages to do something about it.
0 Ratings
Message 184 of 400

Go to solution

@Confused52 wrote:

Keith,

That the BT connection is totally secure is implausible, it currently seems to rely on security by obscurity, otherwise the design would be public. Designs of that type are often seen as a challenge and rarely turn out to be secure for long. It retains true that it breaks net neutrality regulations and the the notion that the router / voice adapter has to be combined is clearly not believed by Virgin Media. Nor does it seem to be demonstrated as necessary by BT in any way. It needs to change.

If you use a smartphone banking app, you are relying on the bank`s own multiple security checks which they would never reveal, so your BT phone connection follows the same principle. Trusted hardware and authentication to more than one secure server, impossible to replicate. Search the Internet, plenty of people have already tried, without success.

Anyway, there is nothing else to add. If you want to use BT Digital Voice, then you have to make the SH2 the primary connection.

0 Ratings
Message 185 of 400

Go to solution

Does the SH2 have to be used as a primary connection if I hardwire the phone into the SH2 instead? I'm not sure how much of this discussion relates to Digital Voice only...

I was thinking of the following:

ONT > Asus Router > SH2 (hard-wired telephone line)

Does anyone know if that would work, or does the SH2 need to be the primary connection even for my existing telephone (not Digital Voice)?

0 Ratings
Message 186 of 400

Go to solution

@Tejstarwrote:

Does the SH2 have to be used as a primary connection if I hardwire the phone into the SH2 instead? I'm not sure how much of this discussion relates to Digital Voice only...

Does anyone know if that would work, or does the SH2 need to be the primary connection even for my existing telephone (not Digital Voice)?

I don't think that will work. I have done it the other way around and have no issues. I posted how I did it earlier (and somebody else did too). It took me about 5 minutes to do.

0 Ratings
Message 187 of 400

Go to solution

@Tejstarwrote:

If you want only broadband then you can plug the Asus router directly to ONT - remember you will need some manual configuration for that but there is plenty information online. If you still have a copper line for phone then it works independently from broadband and you can plug your phone directly to the wall socket.

0 Ratings
Message 188 of 400

Go to solution

Thanks, I might have to give it a go when I get my fibre installed. I'd rather plug my trusted Asus router striaght into the ONT, as I've had plenty of issues with BT Smart Hubs in the past. Not tried the SH2 though, so they may have improved things...

My copper line will be terminated as soon as FTTP is installed as I am transferring my number, so trying to figure out if the above solution would work. Not holding out much hope given the discussion in this thread. Don't need Digital Voice, so was hoping a hardwire of my existing phones might be different.

0 Ratings
Message 189 of 400

Go to solution

Even if you hardwire your existing phone to the SH2 it is using Digital Voice to get out into the rest of the world, rather than your copper phone line.

If you want to use your landline with BT over fibre, set the SH2 as primary and plug the Asus into that.

Some people are willing to cut off their noses to spite their face; I’m happy to have a 1Gbps connection hardwired around the house using the existing infrastructure i put in place about 6yrs before I got fibre 😄

Message 190 of 400

Go to solution

Ok thanks, I figured that would probably be the case.

I'll need to work out how much we need the landline on that basis - it was a free option in the bundle, so figured why not take it. It's only my wife that uses it on occasion, I hardly ever use it. Might require a bit of A/B testing with SHB2 as primary vs Asus router as primary to see which is giving me the most stable connection. 

0 Ratings