cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Digital Voice

An elderly relative has recently moved to a new build property. He has been told that he will need to become a digital voice customer.

The property has both ONT port and normal phone sockets (not sure if these are connected to anything). Is there any way he can just have a normal wired phone? He has no need for the required broadband and struggles to use the cordless style phones. Also, I've seen that digital voice is 0.20p per min. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Digital Voice

@Tudgy 

Welcome to this user forum.

There will be phone sockets fitted, but they would not be connected to the external network.

The BT Smart Hub 2 has a phone socket which can be used to plug in a normal phone, or could be extended so that a phone can be plugged into any of the extension sockets.

Phone calls are 20p a minute, even on normal copper phone lines, unless you add a calls package, which would normally work out much cheaper if you make a lot of phone calls.

Message 3 of 7

@Tudgy 

If the person has no need for the required Broadband, what happens if you try to order Landline only?

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the info, knowing we can plug the corded phone into the hub is a massive help. I will discuss a call package with BT too. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the reply, we have just been told that there is no copper line to the property, just the fibre so no option for landline only.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Hmm, I wonder how that squares with the USO for phone service.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

A while back there was mention at work that customers who didn’t want Broadband, just Voice only would get a 500k broadband service and VOiP via that.

Obviously they would still need a Hub though, regardless of whether they used the internet or not. 

Not heard anything since though, like a lot of ideas they seem to die a death pretty quickly or are kept quiet until it’s rolled out.

I suppose that was one of the advantages to FVA, you didn’t have to have an OGEA Circuit in order or have an OFVA one.

0 Ratings