cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Digital Voice

Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I do not have Digital Voice yet but just wondering about the following.

As I am hearing-impaired, I find using my landline easier to use compared to my smartphone, claritywise so I intend to continue using my landline for voice calls when the DV arrives at my property.

I believe callers will have to dial the whole code when making a call to my landline but if a Caller mistakenly omitted the code, through force of habit, when calling my landline would they simply get an 'unobtainable' sound or would they be asked to dial the whole number (Inc code)?

Surely, one doesn't have to inform all friends+family (which could be in their hundreds) to dial my landline number with the code if they want to contact me?? 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Digital Voice

Go to solution

They will either get no tone or unobtainable, they certainly won't get a message to dial the whole number.

Unless your friends and families 'in the hundreds' are on the same exchange as you, they will be dialling the full code now anyway.

Message 3 of 18

Go to solution
😂 Thanks Liquorice!!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

As an aside, I find using my smartphone through my Bluetooth enabled hearing aids is the best method.

Message 5 of 18

Go to solution
My Aids are not Bluetooth enabled, unfortunately! Thanx anyway 😊👍
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

You are forgetting that this project is being rolled out nationally.

It won't be necessary for you to tell everyone, as, in time, when phone lines are eventually 'switched off' come 2025, everyone will know to dial the whole code!

Hope this eases your concerns! 😃

Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

@ljm wrote:

Surely, one doesn't have to inform all friends+family (which could be in their hundreds) to dial my landline number with the code if they want to contact me?? 

If they presently call you using a mobile phone they are already having to use the number with area code.

If they have your land line phone number in their contacts list they can just use that to auto dial the number or they may/could have your number on a fast dial number or they might even have a great memory and know your whole number and code without having to look it up.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

The original poster has made a good point though.

Some BT customers are already on VoIP and many are not, so until 2025 ('the BIG switch off!!' (it's like analogue TV! I don't suppose you will remember that!)) not everyone will know to dial the whole code if they are calling friends and family in the same area with DV,(and they wouldn't know they are on DV)

So that does pose a problem for customers unless BT work on this. Maybe a recorded message for the caller to hear that could mention to dial the whole code if the connection is not made first time, promoting the caller to dial the area code for the second attempt. But once everyone is on VoIP I imagine it will be less of a problem.

Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

@Anonymous 

That happens today on BT Digital Voice if you don't dial the area code it will say for you to dial again and include the area code.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution
That doesn't sound very reassuring for the original poster! 😀
0 Ratings