cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Digital voice and Master Socket

Go to solution

Hello,

When someone gets changed over to Digital voice will BT be removing te copper cable from the building and will we have to keep the Master Socket in place? I'd like to be able to remove it and fill the holes for the cable and socket screws and replace the wallpaper where the socket is now.

Thanks,

Gerald

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Digital voice and Master Socket

Go to solution

do you have FTTP or FTTC?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

We have got FFTP with copper for the phone.

Gerald

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@warmbells wrote:

We have got FFTP with copper for the phone.

Gerald

Then your master socket and wiring will no longer be needed. If you have  existing extension phones, or your phone is in another room, then you may wish to retain any internal wiring, as you can link that to the BT Smart Hub 2.

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

In the short term no, Openreach ( it wouldn’t be BT anyway ) will not be around to remove the existing copper cable , you may change provider or may move and the new occupant chooses a copper based service provider , in the longer term ( when copper based services are redundant ) it’s still unlikely if the costs to remove copper cables exceed the scrap value of it, local drop wires or lead ins are unlikely to be worth much if anything at all.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

A related question looking at this from a completely different angle:

My Smart Hub 2 is the furthest place it could be from living space as the fibre reaches the property on the far side of my garage.  But that of course is exactly where the copper wiring came in so I am wondering if I can use the in house wiring that connected to the copper to connect instead to the analog phone output of the Hub?

Anyone know please?

Would save having to use the Digital Voice Adapter that I suspect is going to be iffy with our house layout and of course needs its own power socket and potentially UPS.

There's also sorts of rules on what can be connected to the output side of master sockets but I doubt there's any for the other end of the wiring once disconnected from the local cabinet

0 Ratings