cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 91 of 199

Re: Digital voice and power cuts.

The one I mentioned has these specs:-

• Mini UPS to ensure power continuity for connected equipment during power outages. An affordable and compact UPS providing power to Internet routers, IP cameras, Home assistants and Smart controllers
  • 4 output connector types to adapt to your equipment requirements(3.5x1.5mm / 4.75x1.7mm / 5.5x2.1mm / 5.5x2.5mm)
  • Lithium-ion batteries enabling runtime from 40 minutes to more than 5h
  • Power rating 36W - Possible output voltages: 9/12/15/19 V DC
  • Super compact, silent and stylish design - Dimensions: 95.5(L) x 30(H) x 136(P) mm
Message 92 of 199

I think the most serious issue is that the CyberPower unit doesn't claim to be anything other than a backup UPS for an OpenReach FTTP ONT.  However if BT want to fulfil their obligations to the vulnerable (those with FTTP) then assuming the UPS will run a SH2 for an acceptable period they just need to supply 2 units (also, of course, assuming they have any).

0 Ratings
Message 93 of 199

@SixtiesFan 

The problem with running both units from a single DC UPS, is that many devices work on a "floating" supply from a mains adapter, and can malfunction if fed from a common supply due to different "ground or earth" connections. You can get unwanted current flowing between the common connections, which is possibly why BT supply (or will supply) separate backup power supplies, and not a single unit with dual outputs.

This would more likely to be an issue with FTTC connections which by their nature, are connected to an external balanced line, and could be affected by an unbalanced 12V supply.

Whether any of the BT equipment would be affected by a common supply feed, is not known.

I do know that external hard disk enclosures do not function properly if fed from a common supply, possibly due to the way the internal voltages are derived.

Message 94 of 199

In my case, I would continue to run the ASUS router, which is upstairs, from the existing Cyberpower UPS (nothing else connected to that now) and look for something to just power the ONT downstairs. I've posted a question on the supplier's website to see if they can confirm whether or not it would be compatible for powering the ONT. I think that the Cyberpower device I have is their VP1000E model, but I'd have to check to be sure.

Message 95 of 199

Thanks. This whole thing seems to be a con and I'm going to have to get informed to help my 80 year old in-laws who are totally confused.
0 Ratings
Message 96 of 199

I suspect that when more people figure it out they will start charging for the extra line.
0 Ratings
Message 97 of 199

@myquest wrote:
I suspect that when more people figure it out they will start charging for the extra line.

What extra line, they are all going over to Digital Voice, or whatever VOIP service providers offer.

0 Ratings
Message 98 of 199

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@myquestwrote:

What extra line, they are all going over to Digital Voice, or whatever VOIP service providers offer.

With Digital Voice you get an extra line.  So you can ring out while someone else is either making a call or receiving one

0 Ratings
Message 99 of 199

@Stevek1311 wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@myquestwrote:

With Digital Voice you get an extra line.  So you can ring out while someone else is either making a call or receiving one

I had assumed @myquest  was referring to the provision of a conventional analogue line as an addition.

0 Ratings
Message 100 of 199

For the second time in just over two months I have lost broadband due to power cuts in my local area.  This time I have not lost power at my house, and the previous time I was able to use my generator. About 12 hours after the start of the power cuts B-T Broadband fails, probably due to the failure of the back-up supply powering the local Broadband network.  I also loose mobile phone signal. Last time in late November all mobile phone services failed, this time Vodafone and O2 went down but EE stayed up.  

Fortunately I have a BT landline that has worked throughout these power cuts.  It enabled me this morning to ring BT Helpdesk to get my BT mini Hub activated.   

In 2025  when the old analogue BT landlines are retired how will essential communication be provided during extended power cuts?

0 Ratings