cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 131 of 199

Re: Digital voice and power cuts.

I believe what the post was actually referring to was the situation where a call from a mobile phone does not make a connection, and rather than hearing the "ringing" tone (or "engaged" tone or any other response) there is only silence - sometimes a connection is made after a long delay, and sometimes not at all.  I'm sure most mobile phone users have experienced this at some point, and I think it's a fair question to ask whether this could be the result of a power cut affecting transmission masts or other parts of the network.  I have experienced the mobile phone "no connection" situation on several occasions, but none of these were during a power cut in my immediate area.

0 Ratings
Message 132 of 199

Interesting note Jac 95 but first of all can I correct you

@jac_95wrote:

. . .

BT have applied with this guidance by offering a UPS device  . . .

I'm afraid that is not true. 

• The device BT's FAQ direct you to is not suitable for the hardware they are currently rolling out
  • It has been out of stock on their shop for many months now 

I'll say again, the idea of this change is fine but the roll out by BT is a complete mess of inept customer management, poor and false communication and a complete disregard to its elderly and less tech aware customers.  They should take these steps:

1. Pause the rollout until they have their ducks in line
  2. Not transfer any customer until they have available a back up power solution (as OfCom require)
  3. Similarly have available a Digital Voice Adapter that actually works (see Caller ID issues)
  4. Synchronise transfers with contract renewals
  5. Have a FAQ/info document that is true, comprehensive, suitable for all customers and is available and sent in printed form for their non internet customers

I won't hold my breath waiting for such common sense to arrive at BT

0 Ratings
Message 133 of 199

Just out of interest, and to focus on the main topic, has anyone on this thread with a BT landline, considering themselves as vulnerable, and being advised they're being switched to Digital Voice, formally approached BT (as opposed to just trying to place on-line order), advised them of their vulnerability and requested a UPS?  There was a comment posted a while ago indicating that BT did actually have stock but it was prioritised for vulnerable customers.  Also has anyone advised BT that they are vulnerable and that they need a UPS, but then been switched to Digital Voice without receiving one?

0 Ratings
Message 134 of 199

@Stevek1311 ,

It maybe showing out of stock on line but I believe some reserves are in place for those vulnerable customers.

If you are vulnerable and are dependent on the fixed line voice service with no other way to call emergency services then in any case it's best to call up your communication provider be that BT to let them know so they can arrange a solution for you. Don't just rely on what the BT Shop says.

I repeat, if you are buying the UPS device that BT have on their shop. You can get this elsewhere and even better ones out their. So I recommend you to shop around for UPS devices and battery backup solutions.

0 Ratings
Message 135 of 199

@jac_95wrote:

@Stevek1311 ,

It maybe showing out of stock on line but I believe some reserves are in place for those vulnerable customers.

If you are vulnerable and are dependent on the fixed line voice service with no other way to call emergency services then in any case it's best to call up your communication provider be that BT to let them know so they can arrange a solution for you. Don't just rely on what the BT Shop says.

I repeat, if you are buying the UPS device that BT have on their shop. You can get this elsewhere and even better ones out their. So I recommend you to shop around for UPS devices and battery backup solutions.

Definitely better ones that I sorted some time back.  But then I'm an engineer, few people are.

My concerns are driven by the numbers of people that come to me for advice and the elderly people I know or know of that will be left hopelessly lost by this inadequate BT position.  

As for whether BT have stock for vulnerable customers that really won't help with what BT now roll out for FTTP which is a two box solution (small fibre converter and Smart Hub 2) which requires two backed up supplies.   If they supply to a vulnerable customer leading them to believe they have phone during a power cut but actually don't as the fibre converter will be left unpowered then that IMHO would be bordering on criminal. 

0 Ratings
Message 136 of 199

Do UPS units not have more than one power outlet or can a double socket extension lead not be plugged into it to power the two devices?

Message 137 of 199

@gg30340 

The issue with the UPS device recommend in BT Consumer's FAQs is that it has a one DC male Jack rather than multiple jack's or even a C14 jack that can then be used to plug in a C14 UK plug extension lead.

There's a way around it rather than needing 2 UPS units but means shopping around for loads of connector converters.

@Stevek1311 

I'm sure when customers finally get moved to full fibre (FTTP) then there will be some conversation and noted that they had a BT provided UPS  and would potentially need another or some alternative connector to plug in both the Openreach ONT and the Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
Message 138 of 199

I was referring to UPS units in general and would no doubt be the preferred option for the vast majority of users rather than using the BT one which is under specd and over priced.  

0 Ratings
Message 139 of 199

Right now BT show 2 "different" UPS options:

For FTTP installations they offer the FV 55G600

For "non-FTTP" installations the FV54G600 (both currently listed as "Out of Stock").

In both cases the user guides are from CyberPower.  The UPS specification section for both user guides shows the unit itself as being the DTB24U12V-BT1.  As far as I can tell the only difference is that FV54G600 user guide shows how to connect the UPS to a BT Smart Hub and the FV55G600 user guide shows how to connect it to an Openreach ONT.

I can't see the price of the BT-recommended unit anywhere but had read in the past that for 2 units it would be around £170.  The main issue is BT's choice of a UPS with a single 12V DC output rather than a readily-available UPS with multiple 13A sockets, allowing the user to retain the standard power adapter - BT claims that their solution is much more efficient and provides a longer run time than a mains voltage UPS and power adapter.  I spoke to Critical Power (UK CyberPower supplier) recently and they said that given the requirements their recommendation would be a CyberPower BR1000ELCD Desktop UPS Uninterruptible Power Supply (600W/1000VA) - 6 x 13A sockets, currently£120.28 inc VAT.   Only potential drawback is if the ONT and home hub are a long way apart and the hub can't be moved closer to the ONT.

Message 140 of 199

@jac_95  predicts that, to cater for the new emergency services network, in future  more mobile phone base stations are likely to have backup power.   Just how long will the backup last? Unless generators are installed it will be no better than the battery backup available just now at mobile base stations. The emergency services' existing TETRA system has no generator at remote sites, so it seems unlikely that a higher standard will be implemented for its replacement (which to save costs is an add-on to a mobile phone network, and not the more expensive stand-alone system originally proposed as a replacement for TETRA).

@jac_95  also reminds us that calls from a mobile to 999 or 112 will be routed over any available network. However, mobile providers' base stations are often share the same site. Also, a power outage over a large area may affect the base stations of all networks in that area.

0 Ratings