Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 141 of 199

Re: Digital voice and power cuts.

@globe1nhwrote:

Right now BT show 2 "different" UPS options:

For FTTP installations they offer the FV 55G600

For "non-FTTP" installations the FV54G600 (both currently listed as "Out of Stock").

In both cases the user guides are from CyberPower.  The UPS specification section for both user guides shows the unit itself as being the DTB24U12V-BT1.  As far as I can tell the only difference is that FV54G600 user guide shows how to connect the UPS to a BT Smart Hub and the FV55G600 user guide shows how to connect it to an Openreach ONT.

I can't see the price of the BT-recommended unit anywhere but had read in the past that for 2 units it would be around £170.  The main issue is BT's choice of a UPS with a single 12V DC output rather than a readily-available UPS with multiple 13A sockets, allowing the user to retain the standard power adapter - BT claims that their solution is much more efficient and provides a longer run time than a mains voltage UPS and power adapter.  I spoke to Critical Power (UK CyberPower supplier) recently and they said that given the requirements their recommendation would be a CyberPower BR1000ELCD Desktop UPS Uninterruptible Power Supply (600W/1000VA) - 6 x 13A sockets, currently£120.28 inc VAT.   Only potential drawback is if the ONT and home hub are a long way apart and the hub can't be moved closer to the ONT.

Yes it's more efficient to just provide 12 volt outputs as a typical UPS stores the energy as 12 volts and then has to back convert back up to 240V only for that to be converted back down to 12V again.  Two less than 100% efficient processes.

So the trouble is exactly as you say:  only one output.  If that's used to power the Smart Hub 2 then what powers the OpenReach ONT (see example pic below) that converts the fibre into ethernet for the Smart Hub.   

Now the good news is that that ONT also uses a 12V power supply so there must be scope for BT to just supply a power splitter cable with their Cyber UPS.

BTW there are much cheaper UPS options.  That well known outlet named after a rain forest have the one I use at just over £70

ONT.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 142 of 199

Only issue with a splitter is that the overall run time will be reduced - I don't know what the actual power consumptions are for the Smart Hub 2 and the OpenReach ONT, or how much they vary depending on activity - for example is there a background overhead to having DV connected, and is there an increased power usage when making calls?  I currently have FTTC and my Power Inspired Li-ion keeps the hub up for about an hour; just under £50.

0 Ratings
Message 143 of 199

Stevek1311

Would that well known rain forest be known as Amazon?

You can use the names Amazon, eBay Apple  etc. What you can not do is post links to the ecommerce sites showing specific products.  

Message 144 of 199

So looking at your image and some schematics online, I just realised that when I (eventually) get FTTP, the ONT connects to the BT Smart Hub 2 WAN port via Ethernet.  At the moment I have my hub close to my OpenReach 'phone master socket, but all of my static hardware is connected to two ethernet ports on the SH2 via Gigabit Ethernet cable and local switches; one leg for DTV, Skybox and Apple TV on one leg and Mac, printer and NAS on the other.  So I could move my SH2 adjacent to my Mac, connect it to my Ethernet and power it from my existing CyberPower 900W UPS.

0 Ratings
Message 145 of 199

@globe1nhwrote:

So looking at your image and some schematics online, I just realised that when I (eventually) get FTTP, the ONT connects to the BT Smart Hub 2 WAN port via Ethernet.  At the moment I have my hub close to my OpenReach 'phone master socket, but all of my static hardware is connected to two ethernet ports on the SH2 via Gigabit Ethernet cable and local switches; one leg for DTV, Skybox and Apple TV on one leg and Mac, printer and NAS on the other.  So I could move my SH2 adjacent to my Mac, connect it to my Ethernet and power it from my existing CyberPower 900W UPS.

Yes you could.  While the ONT has to go where the fibre enters the property (that can be moved, see below), the Smart Hub can go anywhere.

At one point I had the two linked using Powerline ethernet over mains devices which worked well but at reduced download speed.  If you were to link using decent ethernet cable I reckon you'd not lose any.

FWIW BT did eventually agree to get OpenReach to move the ONT.  I was amazed at how easily they can splice ina  fibre extension without any apparent speed loss.

0 Ratings
Message 146 of 199

You can get the ONT sited anywhere you want it within reason. If you speak to the installing engineer he/she will discuss its location with you and will in the majority of cases agree to your wishes and if that can not be done he/she will explain why not. 

0 Ratings
Message 147 of 199

Good to know, but it may not be straightforward as we're in an apartment building.  Currently all 27 apartments here are served via an OpenReach array installed in a single plant room and distributed to the outlets throughout the building (it was built about 4 years ago).  At the moment I have FTTC via the existing building copper 'phone cabling.   I don't know whether it'll be possible to get FTTP to my apartment (when it eventually comes to my area) without the whole array being connected, because the building infrastructure is owned by the management company.

0 Ratings
Message 148 of 199

That will be the block owner/managers problem as to how it will be distributed when it comes into the building.

I would suggest that if you have an owners committee that this is raised with them to have a discussion with the management prior to FTTP being available so that it is done in the most suitable way.  

0 Ratings
Message 149 of 199

I've already put in a request to the Management Company to check it out - but typically they're slow to respond.  It's a large company with many buildings all over the UK, so I'm hoping the question has already asked somewhere where Ultrafast/FTTP has been rolled out.

0 Ratings
Message 150 of 199

@gg30340wrote:

You can get the ONT sited anywhere you want it within reason. If you speak to the installing engineer he/she will discuss its location with you and will in the majority of cases agree to your wishes and if that can not be done he/she will explain why not. 

I hope that is true now, it wasn't in January last year where it was installed for me at the worst possible place for me and easiest place for the installer (furthest wall of my garage).  BT said it would 'have words' with Openreach (they blamed then Covid rules) and to be fair did eventually get them to fix it.   Took 10 months of arguing though.    

0 Ratings