cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 151 of 199

Re: Digital voice and power cuts.

Re position of Open Reach box. My Open Reach box was installed in my bedroom closet, so my BT hub is connected to it, also in my wardrobe. When I purchased a DV phone, that had to be plugged into the back of the BT hub, so my DV phone is also in my wardrobe. I had a house alarm installed. The control unit also had to be connected to the open reach box, again in my wardrobe. My mains power box is also in my wardrobe, with the result, all of this is taking up half my wardrobe space with all the connecting wires hanging. I wasn’t in the country when my house was being built, so I knew nothing about the positioning of all of this. I have to wonder what on earth were BT installers thinking to install the Openreach box in my bedroom wardrobe. I’m pretty sure it would cost me some to have the Openreach box moved.

0 Ratings
Message 152 of 199

What on earth are you talking about, Digital Voice phones are cordless DECT phones and don't need to be plugged into anything.

0 Ratings
Message 153 of 199

@licquoricewrote:

What on earth are you talking about, Digital Voice phones are cordless DECT phones and don't need to be plugged into anything.

Harsh ^  😞

Yes you can wirelessly connect a recently bought digital voice phone to the Smart Hub but only if

1. Someone (should be BT) has actually told you
  2. You have been transferred to Digital Voice

Otherwise you'd default to connecting the DV phone hub to the Smart Hub

0 Ratings
Message 154 of 199

@Slemwrote:

Re position of Open Reach box. My Open Reach box was installed in my bedroom closet, so my BT hub is connected to it, also in my wardrobe.  . . . . I wasn’t in the country when my house was being built, so I knew nothing about the positioning of all of this. I have to wonder what on earth were BT installers thinking to install the Openreach box in my bedroom wardrobe. I’m pretty sure it would cost me some to have the Openreach box moved.

This almost certainly isn't BT's fault.   

First it would have been Openreach who installed it and apparently it has become the practice of some house builders to request that the box is installed out of normal sight as some naive buyers  are put off by the sight of a box on a wall.  BT told me it's not uncommon for it to be in a cupboard under the stairs or even a downstairs toilet.

It took an OpenReach engineer about 2 hours to splice in a fibre extension and route it around the house to relocate my hub location so I would guess they would charge you something like £200 to relocate it.  

0 Ratings
Message 155 of 199

Just so I understand, do you mean you've been switched to Digital Voice but are still using an existing DECT cordless phone, or that you've purchased one or more Digital Voice handsets?  As far as I know there are no wired BT Digital Voice handsets that plug into the BT Smart Hub 2.

If it's an existing DECT cordless phone system the DECT base station needs to be either

1. plugged directly to the Smart Hub 2, or
  2. plugged into a Digital Voice adapter which can be located anywhere  and connects wirelessly to the Smart Hub 2.

This will provide good call audio quality but doesn't deliver a some of the functionality that comes with Digital Voice handsets.

If you have BT Digital Voice phones (either "Essential" or "Advanced" models), they connect wirelessly to the Smart Hub 2; there is no base station to plug into the hub because the hub is the base station; the handsets come with a charger base.

0 Ratings
Message 156 of 199

@globe1nhwrote:

Just so I understand, do you mean you've been switched to Digital Voice but are still using an existing DECT cordless phone, or that you've purchased one or more Digital Voice handsets?  As far as I know there are no wired BT Digital Voice handsets that plug into the BT Smart Hub 2.

If it's an existing DECT cordless phone system the DECT base station needs to be either

1. plugged directly to the Smart Hub 2, or
  2. plugged into a Digital Voice adapter which can be located anywhere  and connects wirelessly to the Smart Hub 2.

This will provide good call audio quality but doesn't deliver a some of the functionality that comes with Digital Voice handsets.

If you have BT Digital Voice phones (either "Essential" or "Advanced" models), they connect wirelessly to the Smart Hub 2; there is no base station to plug into the hub because the hub is the base station; the handsets come with a charger base.

No

There is a base station if you buy it that way Example  and you can connect it to a normal phone socket or the equivalent on the Smart Hub if you want.  

See https://shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/d9r6/advanced_phone_user_guide.pdf 

0 Ratings
Message 157 of 199

That isn't a DV phone, it is just a standard DECT phone. DV phones do not have abase station, the hub is the base station.

0 Ratings
Message 158 of 199

@licquoricewrote:

That isn't a DV phone, it is just a standard DECT phone. DV phones do not have abase station, the hub is the base station.

It is

It's labelled as the BT Advanced Phone exactly the same phone BT supplied to me (as a single phone with no hub) as a Digital Voice phone

0 Ratings
Message 159 of 199

@Stevek1311 wrote:

@licquoricewrote:

It is

It's labelled as the BT Advanced Phone exactly the same phone BT supplied to me (as a single phone with no hub) as a Digital Voice phone

As @licquorice posted that is not the same as a DV advanced phone although it says advanced phone it does not say DV phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 160 of 199

I've seen the BT "Advanced" phone set-up with the base station/answer machine, but as far as I know that's a conventional BT DECT cordless phone arrangement, not a Digital Voice "Advanced" handset, which is what the original post referred to.

0 Ratings