cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 199

Re: Digital voice and power cuts.

@conradwrote:

@Stevek1311  There is a drop down option to change from the Non to the FTTP version - the select box just under the price

Thanks, I really should have spotted that 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 199

@Stevek1311 

I'd be cautious before ordering one, the user guide on the BT website is the same for both the FTTP and non-FTTP variant and lists the continuous power capability as 24Watts (i.e 2A max current).

The power unit for the ONT is rated at 1.5A and the power unit for the SH2 is rated at either 2 or 2.5A (I can't remember which), this of course, adds up to 3.5 or 4A  (up to 48Watts).

Therefore, going by the spec sheet, this unit is not capable of supplying both the ONT and the SH2

Message 13 of 199

That is the power supply rating, the actual current consumption would be a lot less.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 199

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

That is the power supply rating, the actual current consumption would be a lot less.

Hi Keith.

I don't see your point, I did say it was the power adaptor ratings.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 199

That is the maximum rating, as is stated on all power units.  The actual loading is less than that.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 199

@Les-Gibsonwrote:

@Stevek1311 

I'd be cautious before ordering one, the user guide on the BT website is the same for both the FTTP and non-FTTP variant and lists the continuous power capability as 24Watts (i.e 2A max current).

The power unit for the ONT is rated at 1.5A and the power unit for the SH2 is rated at either 2 or 2.5A (I can't remember which), this of course, adds up to 3.5 or 4A  (up to 48Watts).

Therefore, going by the spec sheet, this unit is not capable of supplying both the ONT and the SH2

I'm very much not going to rush to pay £85 for what looks like a 90VA UPS when to meet its obligations to OfCom they have to give it for free and the market will sell a 500VA one for a lot less money.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 199

By your reckoning then that would mean cordless phones shouldn't be sold either as they're against the ofcom guidelines

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 199

@garybs29wrote:

By your reckoning then that would mean cordless phones shouldn't be sold either as they're against the ofcom guidelines

No because the rule was that you still had to have an analog wired phone in one of your phone outlets.  And that's what we've always done.  99%+ of our use is by the DECT phones but when we had a power cut this Wednesday we immediately got a call on the wired phone.

BT are going to say 'what's the problem, you've got a mobile' and fair enough for me at my current age I know it's unlikely to be a problem.  But what if I'm out of the house and Mrs K is still there (whose mobile is routinely flat)? What if the local mast is also without power.

I'd like to say BT/OpenReach haven't thought this through but I think they have.  They think they are going to just be able to ignore the OfCom rules and think stuff their more vulnerable (and low revenue) customers.  Well tough BT, if you want to own a monopoly supplier of phone infrastructure then that comes with obligations, regulations and laws.  

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 199

@Stevek1311 wrote:

What about the millions and millions of people in the 70s and older that are not au fait with this and are going to be suddenly plunged into darkness and unable to call anyone?

Oi, not everybody in their 70s and older are technophobes. Please don't make such generalised disparaging comments.

Message 20 of 199

I would have expected BT to obtain data from the likes of Western Power Distribution etc to ascertain what areas suffer from frequent power outages and if necessary offer UPS to those if needed. Irrespective of what had been agreed with Ofcom, the vast majority shouldn't need a UPS, exceptions being medical monitors/alarms etc.

I've had DV for around two years and I've probably had two or three short power cuts in that time. I don't get a mobile signal indoors and barely one outdoors, so on the rare occasions that the power goes off I have no communication unless I go wandering outside - there's more to life than worrying about being cut off for a few minutes.

It reminds me of when O2 I think it was, had a major outage and the masses went into meltdown because they couldn't get onto social media to whinge about it, it's not that important. Some might say, ah yes, but what if....    What if a lump of rock from outer space lands on my exchange now, or an Uber driver takes out my cabinet (I always give Uber drivers a very wide berth).

I would think that the objective of 2025 is somewhat optimistic so this is going to evolve over time, BT don't help themselves though by rolling something out with very little support to the customer. 

0 Ratings