cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 199

Re: Digital voice and power cuts.

@globe1nh 

That seems an excellent idea, and simple as well. Priced at £39.40 on their website. Not allowed to post a direct link, but its easy to find on their website. Model IP2100-12G

Message 42 of 199

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@globe1nh 

That seems an excellent idea, and simple as well. Priced at £39.40 on their website. Not allowed to post a direct link, but its easy to find on their website. Model IP2100-12G

yes very useful post by globe1nh.  Thanks and thanks Keith for your extra info too

0 Ratings
Message 43 of 199

That alternative power supply might be more needed that we thought

BT have decided they can't be bothered to sell a backup power supply for the HomeHub despite Ofcom's concession to them saying they have to have a solution available that provides an hour's back up 

'Sorry this product is no longer available' 

Not good, I wonder which of OfCom's requirement's they're going to ignore next.

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 199

I'm sure that's more COVID and Brexit related than BT choosing not to stock it.

There's dozens of options for having a UPS.

We can't post links but I'm sure people can type it into Google.

I would say I do believe BT should be supplying a backup for the most vulnerable customers and I keep reading mixed messages about that. Saying that if they're that vulnerable would they even be able to set it up? BT would need to install it just like Channel 5 were forced to come to people's houses and retune their video recorders etc.

0 Ratings
Message 45 of 199

OfCom's rules say BT have to provide an hour to everyone

OfCom's concession to BT etc says they just have to have a solution to providing that hour.  BT in discontinuing their UPS have decided they don't even have to do that

A classic case of give an inch and  . . . . .

Most of us here are reasonably tech and product savvy so it's not an issue for us per se.  But most of us know old and vulnerable people that are going to have this change forced on them and they are the very people who most need to have emergency services access 24/7 and yet the least able to go sorting their own solution.   

BT (and frankly OfCom as well) should be asking themselves this question 'what are we going to say on the day of the inquest?'

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 199

I’m quite surprised that you are a BT customers, given that you don’t appear to hold BT in high regard ( there are many other alternative service providers that won’t be ‘forcing’ what you consider to be an inferior telephony offering on you, yet )  but although you make an assertion that BT is ignoring Ofcom rules , the fact is that this rollout is at pace , and has been happening for quite some time , and Ofcom and the Government are demanding that the infrastructure is made fit for the 21st Century,  that means switching to a VOIP future as far as telephony is concerned,  it’s certain that this migration  is being done with Ofcoms express consent,  if this were against Ofcoms rules ( or wishes ) a notice to stop BT doing it would have already been issued.

BT cannot guarantee that service will be always available,( no one can )  but their supplier Openreach , obviously strive for the network to be reliable…if the current copper pair that delivers your phone service developed a fault that stopped your ( or the members of the community that you appear concerned for ) service,   you ( or they ) would be in the same situation ( unable to make landline phone calls ) , so it’s not like your current service is infallible.

The spirt of the Ofcom rules is being met by FTTP being capable of being maintained by a local UPS during a power outage , the only grey area is who should be provided with a UPS for ‘free’.

As  already stated it’s likely that the current lack of supply of UPS at BT is not BT arbitrarily deciding not to sell UPS ( why wouldn’t they sell them if the had some in stock ), more likely the supply chain problems that are affecting everyone.

You previously indicated that BT would see you in court, perhaps you could let us how that goes.

Message 47 of 199

as it is openreach who are terminating PSTN not BT retail it will be interesting to see what other ISPs who use openreach network intend to about power cuts if anything so not just BT Retail

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 48 of 199

I would suspect that ISPs will simply just provide broadband, which is what they do. They are not going to be concerned about a phone service, that is down to the customer to choose.

Some may offer provide a phone interface, at an extra cost.

0 Ratings
Message 49 of 199

Sky's digital voice equivalent is called " Internet calls" Their website says that if there is a power cut the telephone won't work.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Talk/Sky-Internet-Calls-VOIP/td-p/3144713

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 50 of 199

1.png

I think most suppliers will simply not mention it in any proper sense.

I have relatives (in his their late 80s and fairly good with basic tech) who've been offered TalkTalk's Future Fibre Digital Voice (phew!) no mention of zero telephone service if no power and when I explained it to them -very carefully- they still had no idea what I was talking about. Although they have a mobile I'd say 95%+ of everything they do with voice calls is via their landline.

I've lived at this address for over 15 years and had one power cut for 10mins. I've had DV for 15 months and had no telephone 4  or 5 times that I know of (including 7 days when I lost everything and an engineer redone the connection). I don't like that but I've now got a UPS and very happy with what it does (also emergency for powering down PC).

I think most people understood DVDs but Blu-rays was another thing.

0 Ratings